JohnBrewer

I've googled and googled but can't find a definitive family tree for ammoniods/cephalopods &c. I'm looking for relationships between ammonites, nautiloids, belemnites, turrilites etc. Does that make sense?

Thanks

J

Here is a real basic one:

post-423-0-72539700-1457479962_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The taxonomic relationships can be found on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalopod

Click on the subclasses like ammonoids, nautiloids and coleoids for info on them.

I believe that belemnites are a member of the coleoid subclass and turrilites are heteromorph ammonites. Ammonites are an order of ammonoidea as are ceratites and goniatites.

edit: the chart Auspex offered provides more of the phylogenetic relationships. I'm not sure if you wanted that or taxonomy.

What I'm looking for in particular is a cladogram of ammoniods showing the decendants of a common ancestor like the image below.

Thanks both of you for your comments.

John.

Chas, I've put this win the wrong part of the forum! Could you move it to the relevant place? General Discussion maybe?

post-20550-0-67152600-1457556761_thumb.gif

Here are some of the best ones I have seen, but they all lack something. I'd like to see a well-done one that combine all the best features and as much info as possible - something like the one on the right with the presumed relationships connecting the groups:

post-4372-0-73912400-1457662762_thumb.gif post-4372-0-35424800-1457662770_thumb.jpg

Thanks Wrangellian

That's sorta what I'm after but not detailed or extensive enough. Just can't find what I'm after on the web despite having spent some time on it. I've decided to try and map it out myself using the above and other information I've found. Gonna need a big piece of paper I think.... :)

That's what I was thinking.. Maybe use that Wikipedia link Bob provided too

Let us know how you make out.

Archived