Monster fossil from South Dakota! Please help figure out what it is!

Jjbrewer119

This is from Western South Dakota. It is definitely a bone. It is super heavy and it feels like weighs well over 20 lbs. The "tip" has a hole going into the rest cavity of the bone that is all agatized. My foot in the photos is a size 12 men's to give a perspective on the size of it.

What kind bone is it? And also what might it be worth?

post-20893-0-92117400-1457506270_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-71501700-1457506285_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-21147700-1457506296_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-97245600-1457506309_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-57177200-1457506341_thumb.jpg

We don't do evaluation on this website, however someone will be along to answer "what is it". I don't know myself, but someone will!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

To me it screams bone. Just what from, i don't know.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Welcome to the forum. Definitely has the characteristics of a very worn Trike brow horn missing the tip. Do you know what County in SD it was found.

If you're interested, just a 30 minutes drive south of Rapid, I can give you the name of my prep person in Hill City near the Black Hills Institute and they can take a closer look or a little further a dealer in Custer.

consider the possibility that the rest of the animal is near where you found this fragment. You might want to take a paleontologist to the site.

It looks an awful loy like a triceratops horn, except the texture is almost too smooth. Still if i had to name it based on pix on the internet...(hey, wait... That is exactly what i am doing), i would call it a trike horn. They are not uncommon in the rocks north of Rapid. And usually found alone, not with the rest of the animal. Were there more bone bits where you found it?

Archived