Help with 2 "ice age" fossils

matthewj984

Hi, 1st time post here, been collecting fossils like ammonites, chrinoids, trilobites etc for a while, but I came across a couple of fossils at a curio shop and was looking for help with ID, the owner of the shop found them near Whitby bay alongside other "ice age" fossils and estimated age at around 10,000BC.

There is a large bone, around 13 inches in length and pretty thick and weighty, the best guess he could give me was part of an ox or bison leg, but curious if anyone can shed more light for me, would be interesting to know which bone and which animal

The second one is clearly a mandible, he didn't give me any information but by looking appears to have belonged to a wild pig/boar, but not sure as it's not a complete jawbone, only about a 6 inch section and any more help would be great.

Apologies for the pictures, had to take them on my phone and the camera isn't brilliant and have a few extras from different angles if people need.

Many thanks for any light anyone can shed on them in advance.

post-20883-0-45543300-1457619458_thumb.jpg

post-20883-0-92732600-1457619700_thumb.jpg

I believe you are correct about the jaw. It appears to be that of a boar.

Edited by Bguild

Yes, the jaw is a bit 'piggy' looking.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for your help guys, agree with Auspex, little bit piggy looking.

Anyone got any clues about the large bone? More angles available if needed

As Harry said, the diagnostic ends (distal and proximal) are missing. Would be hard to say for certain.