Any Tips on how to Prepare this Whale Skull and Jaw Bone?

McHorse

Hi everyone,

Recently I found this partial maxilla and lower jaw fragment of a baleen whale (~2.6 Mya). It is not the most attractive piece but I find it interesting and as it is my second ever fossil find and survived a few million years to get here, I thought I might spruce it up a bit. That being said, does anyone here have any advice they may impart on me about how I could/ should prepare this specimen so it looks nice and could be displayed. My partner reckons this is an outdoors fossil but i'm not sure I could let that happen. So if I get it looking good I may be able to convince her that this is the perfect table centre piece.

Here it is:

post-20417-0-85392100-1457666379_thumb.jpg post-20417-0-88432400-1457666475_thumb.jpg

The maxilla of the whale seems to run across the full length and height of the piece. The matrix appears to be made from relatively hard sandstone, with a number of fractures running through it. All significant cracks have been reinforced with Paraloid b-72 adhesive and the exposed bone has been consolidated with a dilute solution of Paraloid b-72.

Would it be wise to chisel away the matrix that is covering part of the maxilla?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

It must be safe to assume that since this is your second ever fossil, you don't have any air scribes. In that case, try a hammer and chisels of different sizes, but it might be that without using acid or a sandblaster that you might not get a nice finish to the bones. Bobby might have some experience w NZ whales.

• I found this Informative 1

Hi JPC thanks for your reply.I dont own an air scribe (yet). I will try using chisels. What sort of acid would you use on sandstone?

Also would cutting grooves with a grinder and concrete cutting disc work, to make squares to knock the bulk material out?

Also would cutting grooves with a grinder and concrete cutting disc work, to make squares to knock the bulk material out?

Yeah. That would be a good way to get rid of big extra pieces. As for acid on sandstone... my bad, avoid acid with sandstone. Acid prep, by the way, is not as simple as dipping things in acid. So let's just forget I mentioned it.

You might consider just putting it aside, as is, for a while. Since it sounds like your first prep, if you have any 'lower quality' finds in the same sandstone, take some time practicing on them. Getting some experience on a few pieces of similar material will really help you deal with a find you love. Patience may be your best tool.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for your input johnj it is a great point. Patience is a hard tool to master and I will definitely be taking my time with this fossil. I will try to gather information and techniques and think the process through for awhile before I make my first cut.

Without an airscribe this specimen is going to be practically impossible to prepare. Those Motunau & Glenafric concretions are extremely hard. However, some of them are susceptible to acid - try getting some white vinegar from the store and putting a small piece of the matrix into it and see what happens over a couple of days. If it disintegrates, you're in business.

JohnJ makes a better point than any of my previous points. Patience. To successfully prep fossils.... patience is more important than skill and good tools.

Without an airscribe this specimen is going to be practically impossible to prepare. Those Motunau & Glenafric concretions are extremely hard. However, some of them are susceptible to acid - try getting some white vinegar from the store and putting a small piece of the matrix into it and see what happens over a couple of days. If it disintegrates, you're in business.

Thanks all for your help. Boesse, if the piece of matrix does soften in vinegar what is the technique for the matrix left on the fossil? I.e. do you brush it on and let it soak etc? Is it recommend to use a dilute acid or the stronger concentration and higher ph the better (within reason)? And lastly I assume the fossil would be composed of silica or the like so shouldn't be affected by the acid?

Thanks again all, for your help it is a real help for an amateur like me.

So I have put a piece of the matrix into some vinegar and there is a definite reaction happening. Would I be better using white vinegar or diluted HCL acid that you get from the department store to clean bricks? Is there any chance these acids would react with the fossilised bone?

Acetic is very easy on bone, HCL is more reactive and could cause more damage than you bargained for.