Tampa Bay Fossil Fest

Khyssa

Is anyone planning on going to Fossil Fest in Tampa this weekend? I'll be volunteering there both days and it would be fun to meet any fellow Fossil Forum members that also go. On Saturday I'll be working at the silent auction from 2-5 and will be wearing a name tag, not sure where I'll be on Sunday. This will be the first time I've gone to Fossil Fest but I've been told it's a fun event. I've attached a link to the event flyer for anyone who would be in the area and is interested in going.

http://www.tampabayfossilclub.com/documents/FossilFest.pdf

Kara

I would love to come, unfortunatly its a bit to far ha ha Looks like a lot of fun, have a good weekend.

Regards

Mike

Hey Kara, yep its usually got quite a bit of stuff to drool over. Was helping with member display case setup today. I only saw empty cases this morning but usually there's good show filler and all the dealer folks bring their piles of great stuff too.

Looks like Nate will be there too.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/63042-tampa-fossil-fest/?hl=%2Bfossil+%2Bfest

Regards, Chris

I would love to come, unfortunatly its a bit to far ha ha Looks like a lot of fun, have a good weekend.

Regards

Mike

I was there acting on your behalf and I assure you, you had a good time.

It was a fun day, although I spent far too much money!

I ended up working the kids fossil pit, sitting at the table in front of it identifying all of their finds for them. The people who donated fossils for the dig were very generous! There were many partial whale verts, whale ear bones, nice shark teeth, big pieces of ivory, large sections of giant tortous shell, and horse teeth among many other great fossils. But some of the best fossils I saw the kids find were a perfect deer canon bone, manatee ear bone, a large chunk of mammoth tooth, and the mostly intact top of a mastadon tooth! It was fun seeing how excited the kids got although some of the parents were even more excited then the kids! There was one mother that came back several times to learn more about fossil hunting and by the end of the day she'd joined the club and was already planning her families first outing. And then there were the parents that were avidly listening to us as we identified their kids fossils and stashing the better ones in their pockets to make sure the kids didn't accidently loose or break them.

Kara

Sounds like a great time!!! I bet the kids and parents enthusiasm was contagious! :D. Thanks for sharing I wish I wasn't so far away... lol. :)

...There was one mother that came back several times to learn more about fossil hunting and by the end of the day she'd joined the club and was already planning her families first outing...

Terrific! Mission accomplished :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived