Unknown item. Possibly a piece of poo or iron stone

Brillweb101

I found this on Cromer beach Norfolk.

It is 72.8grams

1.6 inches long

Up the coast a while back a fossilised Mamouth was found surrounded by hyena droppings and I only saw a glimpse of a photo and it is similar to my find.I had a little trouble uploading photos but I hope they are enough

thank you

post-20904-0-75907700-1457728852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brillweb101

I'm very much new.

But very interested to get involved and learn.

All advice is very much appreciated.

post-20904-0-62916900-1457736270_thumb.jpg

Another photo ... I hope

I'm very much new.

Maybe a pyrite nodule?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Maybe a pyrite nodule?

I did a quick google search on pyrite nodule it suggested that it would give off a sulphur smell but this is scentless. Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm very much new.

I did a quick google search on pyrite nodule it suggested that it would give off a sulphur smell but this is scentless. Thanks for your suggestion.

The odor would only occur if it were decomposing; stable pyrite will not smell.

Rub a streak on a piece of unglazed porcelain (the underside of a toilet tank lid will do); pyrite will streak black.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

After rushing to the toilet to dismantle it I scraped the item gently and it left a dark brown/blackish streak. It must be noted that I am colour blind and my partner is sleeping ( can't imagine she would be amused to be awoken with me standing beside the bed with the lid to the tank from the toilet asking what colour this mark is.I'd probably be greeted with some colourful words myself)

Would this be enough to confirm a positive identification?

I'm very much new.

After rushing to the toilet to dismantle it I scraped the item gently and it left a dark brown/blackish streak. It must be noted that I am colour blind and my partner is sleeping ( can't imagine she would be amused to be awoken with me standing beside the bed with the lid to the tank from the toilet asking what colour this mark is.I'd probably be greeted with some colourful words myself)...

I am actually laughing out loud! :P

Would this be enough to confirm a positive identification?

Well, it is a step toward one.

I am on about pyrite nodule because of the surface texture, but would have felt better about it had the streak been 'graphite black'.

Anyone here know what color marcasite streaks?

Anyone here know what color marcasite streaks?

dark brown to black, with slightly green tinge

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Since I am very much new to actually collecting fossils and curious items I'm not really sure on weather this thing could be as common as flint or slightly more interesting. All a so far have is a tiny broken Belemnite. But still I think its an amazing thing to have and learn the history of its creation. I do hope to see a collection grow and I'm sure it will with time and eager eyes.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

I'm very much new.

Sometimes things dry into interesting forms. I have to be careful not to pick up any "future coprolites" when I'm collecting fossils in my pasture.

From what I've seen on this forum, you've got a lot of good fossil collecting to look forward to in the UK. I loom forward to seeing what you find.

Since I am very much new to actually collecting fossils and curious items I'm not really sure on weather this thing could be as common as flint or slightly more interesting....

Pyrite is often a product of an anoxic, reducing environment, often with bacterial activity, and so is sometimes partly biologic in origin.

• I found this Informative 1

@Auspex thank you for your help chap! Much appreciated

I'm very much new.