Finally! 1st since Jan 6th

Shellseeker

It seems like forever. 2 months staying home due to heavy rain and deep water. A good friend took me to one of his spots -- I am blessed with good friends..

Consistent finds over time. Gator scutes, Horse Teeth, a few very nice Makos, with only a few unknowns.

post-2220-0-55130300-1457886327_thumb.jpg

A very nice day, water depth a little high, but the sun was shining and the fossil hunting was sweet.

Here are some unknowns.. My partner said both are whale, but I am not sure. Especially the jaw -- small for whale...

post-2220-0-29134200-1457886582_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-60422600-1457886599_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-09712900-1457886627_thumb.jpg

And this one -- an ear ?

post-2220-0-98024200-1457886693_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-29999400-1457886731_thumb.jpg

A fantastic day of hunting, but I am really hurting today -- ligaments and joints, muscles in back, biceps, and forearms... It will take some pain to get back in shape...

Enjoy, Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Awesome! Great hunt! Especially with the high water levels. I've been watching that Peace River water level dropping. Still watching levels before I book my trip in April for my Peace River hunting trip.

Yay!!! I was wondering when you were going to post something. With the river finally at huntable levels, I knew you would be out there. What a great haul. Congrats! My son and I went out on Thursday and it was very nice (water was a little high and cold, though). We had some nice finds, but not as good as you apparently. I'll post out stuff sometime soon. We supposedly have some more rain coming in, so it might postpone any trips for a little bit, but lets cross our fingers and hope its nothing.

I just want to tell you that I know how you feel. I was hurting for the next couple of days. When you take a couple of months off and don't work those muscles, you pay for it.

Let this be the first of many successful hunts in the near future :fistbump:

Dan

Thanks to all for sharing my joy....

This was actually one of my more curious hunting trips. The spot that I was hunting was no more than 6 feet in diameter, and the odd thing was that I thought that I had dug out this specific location a year ago. I was digging on the slope into a deeper hole and there was a layer of 6-7 inch gravel about 2 feet across circling the hole. This general area had been massively transformed during the floods dropping more than 6 feet of sand over some previously dug spots and clearing sand from newly exposed gravel.

But I cleared this specific location of most/all fossils and yet came back to the same place and found all these fossils yesterday. Curious and Impressive.

Adding a closeup of the lower Mako, it is a tad over 2 inches.

post-2220-0-92689200-1457898946_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Sweet finds Jack :) That one unknown looks to be a whale periotic to me. I have a few but they're less common than the normal ones

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Jeff,

I think that is a match... Harry provides a couple of photos here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/27535-is-this-a-whale-ear-bone/.

Must be more than just Eocene, Else why in the Peace River Fm.?

Just searching the net, I found this nice chart on Baleen whale fossils including the Jaw and earbone.

Naturally from Bobby: http://ucmp.berkeley.edu/science/parks/images/ptre_fossils700.jpg

post-2220-0-74956800-1457906525_thumb.jpg

This is Miocene and Pliocene material. I guess the 3-4 inch height of the Jaw "fits"...

Edited by Shellseeker

That's a sweet lower mako there Jack--they don't get much nicer (or bigger) in the Peace.

In your first photo at the start of this post is that a GW tooth toward the upper right? I've still only found a single Great White tooth but hoping I'll find another with enough time hunting. Glad that the water level is finally coming back down to a sensible level. I'm hoping to introduce some friends to hunting on the Peace at the beginning of April and hope the river stays down till then.

Glad you're finally back in the river and setting a high standard for the rest of us. Though you've already scored some impressive finds this season, your real treasures are your fossil buddies that make trips like that possible.

Cheers.

-Ken

But,..but..but Grandma, what sharp eyes you have. I was wondering how many/few would spot that GW in the upper right. The serrations are hard to see in the photo.

As you say, the real treasure are the friends that I share the days and finds.

Here is another photo pointing to the ID of a Baleen jaw section:

post-2220-0-61429000-1457984024_thumb.jpg

Note the ridge down the length of the upper jaw and the baleen has to hang from some bone attachment. which may be seen in my center photo. Waiting for confirmation from experts.

Jack

The earbone (periotic/petrosal) is certainly from a balaenopterid whale, perhaps Balaenoptera borealina/sursiplana, which is a very common Pliocene mysticete on the east coast. The mandible is from either a balaenopterid whale or perhaps a herpetocetine - and it appears to be the very anterior tip of the mandible.

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks Bobby,

This is a Pliocene- Pleistocene mix, more Pliocene than most of the Peace River sites. I may have found some before, but I am new to Baleen whale fossils. These 2 pieces came from the same hole as other smaller jaw sections.

I am certainly pleased with your identifications. and will educate my self on the east coast Baleen wha;e fossils, Jack

Edited by Shellseeker