DinoMike

What a day on the river. The 'trail' into the riverbed is shale for about half the way down, and with all the recent rain, it turned into slippery mud. I landed on my butt 3 times while climbing down into the riverbed, once almost ripping off a fingernail in the process.

The heavy rains last week had taken the river up to within 10 feet of flood stage a few days ago, and it showed. Collapsed banks, one HUGE cavern high up on the bank just below a soon-to-be-doomed tree, and washed-out shale chunks covering most of the riverbed. Couldn't see much for all that wreckage, but once that shale dries & crumbles a bit, the next moderate rain will REALLY reveal a lot of good stuff, I'm sure!

As a result, a couple of hours of wandering the riverbed (and almost slipping & landing on my butt in the water a couple of times) only yielded 2 pieces worth taking home.

post-18676-0-23093200-1457928038_thumb.jpg

This one tried to hide from me under some shale.

(Continued... )

post-18676-0-71472100-1457928130_thumb.jpg

Mosasaur vertebra, of course. I'm getting good at spotting them.

post-18676-0-27442800-1457928141_thumb.jpg

Same vert after a rinse in the river.

(Continued... )

post-18676-0-32283700-1457928344_thumb.jpg

The other find of the day, this rather cool-looking partial cephalopod shell.

I hope the rest of the hunters that were headed into the river as I was leaving found some cool stuff. I know one of them had already found another mossie vert of similar size, as well as a cool little ornate gastropod shell.

Your cephalopod looks like Baculites.

Thanks, I had a feeling it probably was. Pretty big compared to my other North Sulphur Baculites.

Nice finds. We are hoping to get up that way within the next couple of months.

I can relate to your adventures this past weekend. We went to the Goodland formation and picked up some ammonites, gastropods, and echinoid's. The creek banks were pretty slick.

Thanks for the update.