White rot fungi humble beginings?

fossilized6s

I found this piece last Saturday and it's quite strange. I've never seen a fossil like this. This may sound like a dumb theory, but could this be white rot fungi just starting to form? 99% of the holes are on the woody areas of the fern. The axis is fully covered with holes. I figure if it was normal weathering of the rock/fossil the holes would be everywhere, or at least on the leaves more. Has anyone seen this before?

This is from the late carboniferous period. Mazon Creek, Francis Creek shale.

post-14584-0-01552800-1457927396_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Do a search for "kaolinite" and see if that might be your white deposit. It is common on the Mazon Creek split nodules I have handled.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The white is just calcite. I'm wondering how all of the holes found there way into the woody parts of my fern.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Looks like that the nodule was splitted a long time ago and was exposed to the natural weathering process.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Weathered, to be sure, but might it have been a fertile frond?

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Weathered, to be sure, but might it have been a fertile frond?

This was my thought, as well.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This type of random damage was originally thought to be caused by a fungus and given the scientific name Excipulites callipteridis. It is now believed to be caused by the feeding of some type of piercing-and-sucking insect. Yours is a very nice example of the selective feeding different insects employed. This example preferred feeding from the venation. Others would ovoid the veins and feed on the lamina only.

Hope that clears this up some,

Jack

• I found this Informative 10

This type of random damage was originally thought to be caused by a fungus and given the scientific name Excipulites callipteridis. It is now believed to be caused by the feeding of some type of piercing-and-sucking insect. Yours is a very nice example of the selective feeding different insects employed. This example preferred feeding from the venation. Others would ovoid the veins and feed on the lamina only.
Hope that clears this up some,
Jack

Wow! This is a fascinating ichnofossil :wub:

FOTM material, for sure :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you very much, Jack. I thought this piece was a bit different. After finding hundreds of ferns, this was my only example of such damage. Very cool.

~Charlie~

The white is just calcite. I'm wondering how all of the holes found there way into the woody parts of my fern.

Tiny Carboniferous era woodpeckers. :P

Then as I scrolled down and read Jack's response I see that my joke was not too far off the mark (though woodpeckers didn't exist till the early Cenozoic). Cool fossil and very attentive eye for noticing what the vast majority of others would have missed.

Cheers.

-Ken

Tiny Carboniferous era woodpeckers. :P

Then as I scrolled down and read Jack's response I see that my joke was not too far off the mark (though woodpeckers didn't exist till the early Cenozoic). Cool fossil and very attentive eye for noticing what the vast majority of others would have missed.

Cheers.

-Ken

Now if i can just find the little bugger that did the damage!

~Charlie~

Thanks for sharing.Had I found this fossil I my not have been as inquisitive as you with this piece.Glad you pursued your curiosity.

Edited by Rockaholic

Great find, Charlie! I'm inclined to look over my fern collection a little more closely. Thanks for your fine explanation, Jack!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I found this piece last Saturday and it's quite strange. I've never seen a fossil like this. This may sound like a dumb theory, but could this be white rot fungi just starting to form? 99% of the holes are on the woody areas of the fern. The axis is fully covered with holes. I figure if it was normal weathering of the rock/fossil the holes would be everywhere, or at least on the leaves more. Has anyone seen this before?

This is from the late carboniferous period. Mazon Creek, Francis Creek shale.

attachicon.gif2016-03-13 22.22.07.jpg

very hard to say about this. based on pinnule shape (hemisphere)- Decoration and the main vein that never reached at end of the pinna, low dense of veins, lobes of pinnules and other characteristics it is near genus Pecopteris