is this a fake Diplomystus dentatus ?

It was a large fossil and that made me purchase it .

I believe it is a Diplomystus dentatus .. now please share your insights if it is a fake.

the size of the actual fossil without the framing is about 18 inches .. and I could not find similar size online..hence the doubt.

Thanks...and much appreciated

post-15759-0-96510300-1457997779_thumb.jpg

post-15759-0-18623800-1457998019_thumb.jpg

Looks real to me - it may have been enhanced with stain to bring out the bones, but it looks real, otherwise.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is indeed, Diplomystus. These critters can reach 2' in length, so yours is not "too big." It is a "real" fossil. Enhanced with paint? Can't say from the photo; but check it out under at least 10X or better yet a stereoscope. You will be able to detect paint, if present.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It is a spectacular display piece!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice piece definitely a diplo and looks real as indicated may have a bit of staining to enhance the overall look. Half again as big as the one I have and in better condition....

Pretty sure it's real. I have a piece similar to yours in size and preservation.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

That is a real fish. I call em Diplo's for short. The 16 to 18 inch fish are actually common in this size. If you need any proof, just come over for a visit. Ive got lots and lots of them. Very nice fish though, and in purty nice shape too.

RB

Hi everyone, I enjoyed reading your comments..Thank you for taking the time to chip in

• 2 weeks later...

RJB is spot on.

Very nice medium sized Diplo from the 18-inch layer of Green River Formation.

Archived