Looking for advice on a Mazon Creek trip

matt2396

Hello everyone, I will be visiting the Mazon Creek area next week, and I'm seeking some advice in the meantime. Our destination for the day will be the Mazonia-Braidwood Fish and Wildlife Area. I've never visited the area, so all of my planning is based on trip reports, topographic maps and satellite images. I'm aware of the caveats (ticks,vegetation, picked-over areas), but I feel as though it's probably something everyone in Illinois or anywhere else should do at least once. If anyone has any advice on how to make my trip/hunting more efficient and worthwhile, I would love to hear it. (I'll also be stopping at Kankakee River State Park later that day, if anyone has information on that park, it would also be very appreciated)

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by matt2396

probably too late here...butI never looked for fossils at Braidwood, but I have been told it's not easy to find them. I have found them on the Mazon itself but that requires floating the river. Kankakee River State Park is beautiful and you do occasionally find limestone fossils on the bank. I may be wrong, but rock collecting might be illegal in the state park. Regardless it's really a beautiful place especially around Rock Creek. Rt 102 is closed Rock Creek so at warner bridge road which is 7000 W take a left, go a few miles then right on 9000N go a few more miles to 5000w and take a right. take 5000w (Deselm Road) then another Right on 102 and that will take you back to the park.

There is a bike trail along the river and that would be a great way to see it.

If you have any questions just post it.