Tully Monster Most Related To the Lamprey

Scylla

Thanks for the link, Gus!

How've you been???

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I heard a paper redescribing the enigmatic "Tully Monster" was in the works. I never would have imagined that it was a chordate.

Here are a few pictures of my best example and one of the best ever collected from the Mazon Creek deposit.

post-1202-0-33586700-1458155870_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-29959700-1458155903_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link, Gus!

How've you been???

Too busy :( But last weekend I did get to collect a couple of hours in the Mahantango and a half-hour (yes only a half hour) at the briggs road site :D

How about you?

I heard a paper redescribing the enigmatic "Tully Monster" was in the works. I never would have imagined that it was a chordate.

Here are a few pictures of my best example and one of the best ever collected from the Mazon Creek deposit.

Every Tully Monster fossil makes me jealous :envy: Thanks for showing us yours!

Too busy :( But last weekend I did get to collect a couple of hours in the Mahantango and a half-hour (yes only a half hour) at the briggs road site :D

How about you?

I'm well, Gus! I hear you on the too busy part.

Heading out to the Triassic on Monday morning. :)

I will be organizing a forum trip for sometime in May (probably the later half) to Deep Springs Road.

Say hello to the boys for me.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

...I never would have imagined that it was a chordate...

Neither me!

I guess it's "Uncle Tully" now...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! Mystery solved.

It's extra strange because a lamprey type fish was fully evolved at the same time.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Can't say I saw that coming! Wow!

Looks different with a lamprey touch. But that's neat! Makes me want to find one even more! Some day!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

The paper published in Nature has 8 pages of color photos.

Please send me a PM with email address if you want a pdf.

McCoy, V.E. et al. (2016)

The ‘Tully monster’ is a vertebrate.

Nature, 16992

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Very impressive!!! :wub:

I certainly didn't expect it would be a vertebrate! What an excellent and thorough analysis.

Very interesting, but isn't the drawing depicting a jaw on the stalk?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Fantastic!

Unlike a magic trick, solving the mystery of its taxonomic position does not diminish my fascination with this (formerly) enigmatic fossil. Still high on my fossil bucket list is to find my very own Tully.

Thanks for the link--made for great morning reading.

Cheers.

-Ken

Very interesting, but isn't the drawing depicting a jaw on the stalk?

Brent Ashcraft

You're right. They do appear to think the mouth could grasp. So that would be a jawless fish with a jaw :) hmmm

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

The Chicago Tribune had a nice illustration. However, they arrow to the notochord should be going to the straight red line and not the smaller green line. http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-met-0317-tully-monster-graphic-htmlstory.html

Here's the illustration.

post-10955-0-06369300-1458234104_thumb.png

Here's a modern lamprey illustration for comparison.

EDIT: Sorry not a lamprey. The illustration is of a Lancet, a more primative chordate than a vertebrate lamprey.

post-10955-0-73361800-1458234127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stocksdale

man, those are beautiful

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The rigid 'eye bar' is still the strangest thing to me about this very strange creature. As far as I know, it is unique in the animal kingdom.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If it is cartilage extending the eyes out, it might not be that different from a hammerhead. Which is still kind of bizarre.

1299273722_2.jpg

On 3/17/2016 at 10:28 AM, Auspex said:

The rigid 'eye bar' is still the strangest thing to me about this very strange creature. As far as I know, it is unique in the animal kingdom.

The rigid eye bar is rare, but not unique to the Tully Monster:

"The eyes of Tullimonstrum are set on a rigid horizontal bar (Fig. 1b–d), a configuration rare in chordates but present in hammerhead sharks and larval dragon fish."

McCoy, V.E. et al. (2016)
The ‘Tully monster’ is a vertebrate.
Nature, 16992

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png