Tully Monster Most Related To the Lamprey

Scylla

So it is a vertebrate WITHOUT vertebrae. And a jawless fish WITH a jaw.

......or does it have vertebrae. I haven't read the paper so I'm not sure.

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

On 3/17/2016 at 10:54 AM, Stocksdale said:

...or does it have vertebrae. I haven't read the paper so I'm not sure.

"A series of ‘medial organs’ (Extended Data Fig. 1d, g) is associated with the notochord (Extended Data Fig. 2c). Their three dimensional preservation suggests that they were relatively decay resistant and we interpret them as cartilaginous arcualia. Similar (but smaller and less regular) three-dimensional, repeated structures also occur along the notochord of Gilpichthys. Serially arranged internal structures are also present in some molluscs but they are almost always paired and are therefore unlike the structures interpreted here as arcualia in Tullimonstrum."

IMG1.jpg

McCoy, V.E. et al. (2016)
The ‘Tully monster’ is a vertebrate.
Nature, 16992

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The rigid eye bar is rare, but not unique to the Tully Monster:

"The eyes of Tullimonstrum are set on a rigid horizontal bar (Fig. 1b–d), a configuration rare in chordates but present in hammerhead sharks and larval dragon fish."
McCoy, V.E. et al. (2016)
The ‘Tully monster’ is a vertebrate.
Nature, 16992

The eyestalks of the hammerhead shark are part of its skull, and I am not so sure that those of the larval dragon fish are rigid.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

On 3/17/2016 at 11:19 AM, Auspex said:

The eyestalks of the hammerhead shark are part of its skull, and I am not so sure that those of the larval dragon fish are rigid.

I was only quoting what the paper stated. Perhaps you could contact one of the authors for clarification.

LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61411-modern-insect-with-trilobite-like-eyes/?hl=#entry657114

Check out post #14. There are/were similar eye structures in the animal kingdom. They are similar to a crab as well.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61411-modern-insect-with-trilobite-like-eyes/?hl=#entry657114

Check out post #14. There are/were similar eye structures in the animal kingdom. They are similar to a crab as well.

I guess I am subconsciously excluding those with exoskeletons; I should have said "chordates" instead of "animals" :blush:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!