Tools thinner than sewing needles?

sdsnl

I am looking for tools thinner than sewing needles that I can use to get into small openings in rocks and slowly split them into thin slices. Like this: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61081-fossiliferous-matrix-sliced-into-mini-book/

That one was made with sewing needles and a paint knife, but I have made thinner slices and don't feel it's satisfactory. With these tools my success rate is low. I often feel that they are too thick and it's easy to break the rock into pieces during the split, or I bend a slice too much that it ends up being crooked.

Does anyone have a suggestion for thinner tools? I don't mind that it might not provide enough strength as the rocks need to be split slowly and carefully anyway (the one above took a month to make and I've spent over 2 months on another one). Thank you very much!

Razor blades or exacto/hobby knife type blades can work.

The only caveat is that once you get a split started, it is advisable to put another blade in next to the original, to widen the split without breaking the rock - continue adding blades as necessary, to continue the split.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Razor blades or exacto/hobby knife type blades can work.

The only caveat is that once you get a split started, it is advisable to put another blade in next to the original, to widen the split without breaking the rock - continue adding blades as necessary, to continue the split.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Thanks, that's what I've been doing with needles. I've tried razor blades but they seem to be the same thickness or more and didn't get inside the rock well :( Maybe I need to find a brand that makes thinner ones?

...I've tried razor blades but they seem to be the same thickness or more and didn't get inside the rock well...

If the rock is not finely and evenly foliated, I can see where a wide blade would hamper more than help.

Maybe the narrow tip of an Xacto would be better suited?

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I got a set of micro drill bits a long time ago, can't remember where. However, they are so extremely fine that they are difficult to work with and not snap them. You'd probably do best with flat bladed x-acto hobby knife, ( that's what I would use).

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG