Megalodon Vertebra

cowsharks

If Megalodon sharks could grow upwards of 70 feet long, would it make sense that their vertebra would be "quite large" to support such a large structure? Step back for a moment and think about the huge size of Whale vertebra that folks used to find at Lee Creek. I've seen some whale verts easily around 8 to 10 inches in diameter, and at least that tall/long or longer. Now, back to Megalodon vertebra. I've seen some vertebrae that folks say came from Megalodon sharks and they were around 3 inches in diameter and just under 1" thick. I understand that shark vertebra are cartilaginous and do not usually fossilize. That being said, I find it hard to believe that there aren't significantly bigger Meg verts found, especially from places like Lee Creek. I've seen one or two pics of large Meg verts from Belgium that look to be around 6 or 7 inches in diameter. So, are there any pics of large Meg verts from the US, Peru, Chile, or other localities?

There is a roughly 5" vert at Calvert Marine Museum in the hall with the big shark model. There are verts in the collection that are roughly 2.5"-3" and are definitely from a Mako. I'd be hesitant to put the megalodon label on anything that isn't greater than 3-4".

Whats the name of the guy whos got that jaw/verts in the background?

Hubel or something?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Whats the name of the guy whos got that jaw/verts in the background?

Hubel or something?

Are you thinking of Gorden Hubbell?

That sounds right, thanks :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

There is a roughly 5" vert at Calvert Marine Museum in the hall with the big shark model. There are verts in the collection that are roughly 2.5"-3" and are definitely from a Mako. I'd be hesitant to put the megalodon label on anything that isn't greater than 3-4".

Do you know if that 5" vert is from Calvert Cliffs or not?

If Megalodon sharks could grow upwards of 70 feet long, would it make sense that their vertebra would be "quite large" to support such a large structure? Step back for a moment and think about the huge size of Whale vertebra that folks used to find at Lee Creek. I've seen some whale verts easily around 8 to 10 inches in diameter, and at least that tall/long or longer. Now, back to Megalodon vertebra. I've seen some vertebrae that folks say came from Megalodon sharks and they were around 3 inches in diameter and just under 1" thick. I understand that shark vertebra are cartilaginous and do not usually fossilize. That being said, I find it hard to believe that there aren't significantly bigger Meg verts found, especially from places like Lee Creek. I've seen one or two pics of large Meg verts from Belgium that look to be around 6 or 7 inches in diameter. So, are there any pics of large Meg verts from the US, Peru, Chile, or other localities?

The largest known centrum is from Denmark and is 230mm, described in that paper : http://2dgf.dk/xpdf/bull32-01-02-1-32.pdf

Centra are very rare given their cartilaginous nature and according to Gottfried et al. 1996 extrapolations, there were more than 200 vertebra in a single megalodon, of various size depending their position. So you have huge sampling bias coupled with the size of the individual coupled with the specific position of the centrum which had varied sizes. That's why we don't have many very large centra, or many at all...

Here is a shark centrum from a Texas cretaceous site. These sharks couldn't have been near as big as Megalodons but this one is nearly 5 inches across.

post-4419-0-15230700-1458793719_thumb.jpg

The largest I ever found. I could'nt tell you the species though.

post-20756-0-43919900-1458958219_thumb.jpeg

"If you choose not to decide. You still have made a choice." - Rush

Here are a set of associated meg verts from Italy. Largest is just over 7" in diameter.

post-2320-0-13360800-1459037008.jpg

Here is another view of the meg vert from the Hubble collection which I toured last week.

post-1906-0-70089800-1459094250_thumb.jpg

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Knowing the 23 cm wide vert from Denmark was associated with a 16 cm long, 12 cm wide tooth (along with 19 other vertebra), we can predict verts at least about 27-29 cm wide could occur.

Shark vertebrae

Associated shark verts probably Mako from Sharktooth Hill area in Bakersfield, ca. Average size around 3" One of two jackets. Approx. 40 verts in all showing.
Would love to find a megalodon vert.
Lisa

Archived