Dinosaur skeleton recreations, technique, species?

Mahnmut

Hello together,

after collecting fossils nearly all my life and some tinkering in the art of skeletal reconstruction I consider making my first completely own paleoreplica.

Until now I reassembled some recent bird skeletons found on the beach, assembled a replica Eudimorphodon from about 100 premade parts that Laurent (Lormouth) generously let me for a small price, skulpted the missing upper skull to a fossil cavebear mandible and maxilla, made a resin cast of a sea turtles skull and carved a wooden copy of the 3ft comercial plastic T-rex- skeleton from elenco.

Some pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13280352@N04/albums/72157666207659166

Now I ponder making a completely new skeleton of my own.

-Maybe a small species like Caudipteryx, 1/1 scale

-A small Psittacosaurus (I own a fossil Femur whose previous owner must have been only about 60 cm (2ft) long), maybe rather 1/2 scale for a beginning

A scaled down model of a Kentrosaurus or maybe a turtle like Archelon.

I am open for suggestions.

On the technique I could also use some advice.

Wood is beautiful, but very work-intensive. Some sculpting mass in combination with aluminum rods may be easier, maybe casts in resin afterwards.

I also pondered using modified casts of recent bird bones for Theropods.

For the moment I am not going for the detailed recreation of a species, a good impression of a genus would be more what I aim for.

Where can I get detailed depictions of Skeletons from multiple angles??

Thanks in advance,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
  • I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Wow your skeletal recreations are amazing you have a wonderful gift, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure where you can obtain skeletal views from different angles other than going to a museum and taking photos. I've attached Scott Hartman's link he is the standard when it comes accurate recreations of dinosaurs but it's in 2D.

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/

Very good modelling thanks for sharing, the other way to get some 3d images is from published 3d scans from the internet, or have a look at some 3D printer software it may help.

Regards

Mike

Hi, thanks for your kind words and advice, i´ll have a look at the site.

I have to emphasize that the Pterosaur (Eudimorphodon) is not made by me, I only assembled the bones that Lormouth made.

Still i am quite satisfied with the result.

One question, I understood how to put images into the post, but is a link to flickr like above also ok?

I know that other forums prefer that method because it saves them server capacity.

Thanks!

Jan

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi, thanks for your kind words and advice, i´ll have a look at the site.

I have to emphasize that the Pterosaur (Eudimorphodon) is not made by me, I only assembled the bones that Lormouth made.

Still i am quite satisfied with the result.

One question, I understood how to put images into the post, but is a link to flickr like above also ok?

I know that other forums prefer that method because it saves them server capacity.

Thanks!

Jan

Hi Jan; we prefer that photos are uploaded to TFF rather than linked images. Over time, the content is archived on our server and prevents posts becoming obsolete when links become broken, or photos are removed. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I have anchored one of the amazing images:

post-423-0-19002800-1458920959_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks again for the kind words and advice.

I am especially pleased that Lormouth, the creator of the Eudimorphodon, aproves of the pose I put it in! :)

I decided to make an Archelon skeleton in 1/25 scale next. Just took a close look at the one Taburin made. Mine will be smaller.

After that, if it goes well I´d like to make some recent whales in the same scale, and if that still works out some archeoceti and marine reptiles.

The good thing about whales and turtles is their reduced number of bones, therefore I think it will be a relatively easy start.

Well, I think that´s a plan for the year at least, let´s see how it works.

I have to admit, none of the species I decided on building (or trying to) is a dinosaur, but I couldn´t change the topic title.

Best Regards,

Jan

Edited by Mahnmut

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks again for the kind words and advice.

I am especially pleased that Lormouth, the creator of the Eudimorphodon, aproves of the pose I put it in! :)

I decided to make an Archelon skeleton in 1/25 scale next. Just took a close look at the one Taburin made. Mine will be smaller.

After that, if it goes well I´d like to make some recent whales in the same scale, and if that still works out some archeoceti and marine reptiles.

The good thing about whales and turtles is their reduced number of bones, therefore I think it will be a relatively easy start.

Well, I think that´s a plan for the year at least, let´s see how it works.

I have to admit, none of the species I decided on building (or trying to) is a dinosaur, but I couldn´t change the topic title.

Best Regards,

Jan

It all sounds good :)

-Lyall

• 3 years later...

Well, instead of opening a new topic I come back to this very old one.

It seems that since then I have become somewhat carried away.

At this point I tried to get an overview and it turns out that I covered many combinations of geological age and environment (aquatic/terrestrial/aerial), still missing some.

Meanwhile, dinosaurs are definitely included. I still didn´t find the perfect material, but made some improvements.

Here is a list of the models I built (more or less, some I only painted) and some I intend to do in the future. Any further suggestions? other than "stop it before your living room is full"?

Maybe i try to put them together in a timeline collage, but that will take some time even with photoshop.

Aloha

J

List.JPG

Thomas Henry Huxley

Trilobites! I know, I know... absolute shocker that I might suggest that. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Trilobites! I know, I know... absolute shocker that I might suggest that. :P 

Thanks Kane,

you are right of course, Trilobites are completely underrepresented in my little zoo.

That is due to the fact that they are represented in my collection by real fossils, what i sadly cannot say for most of the critters I built.

Aditionally I think i may lack the skill and patience to make a good trilobite-model.

Its  a good idea though to include some small Trilobites in the display of my paleozoic models. And some small Ammonites in the mesozoic ones.

Cheers

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

The whales:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_2018_09/family2.thumb.jpg.95dce0e51bc518430c9e40967df6b8bd.jpg

some of my other models in geochronological order, some completely selfmade, some simply bought, most bought and changed a lot.:

zeitstrahl19.jpg

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha!

I just finished my first dinosaur model!

Although the second, third , fourth... have been finished for some time, this first one stood incomplete for several years, mainly because I got so fed up with wood dust in my nose before completing it.

I spent another weekend at my fathers place and used his well equipped workshop to make the missing shoulder girdle.

That one was my first try, reproducing in wood a plastic model by edutoys. Early stages can be seen via the link at the beginning of this post.

Cheers

J

trex1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thomas Henry Huxley