Carboniferous Shark

Terry Dactyll

I see theres quite a few Shark enthusiasts on here, so this may be of some interest...

During a recent excavation for coal deposits in our area (westhphalian age)...there was a layer uncovered that contained some Juvenile fish remains including rhizodont scales, teeth, a couple of jaws and skull plates and among these were some bits of early freshwater sharks.... as the nodular material was very sparse from these layers I started to focus on this very dark silty sediment that contained these remains, and although I went every night after they had finished moving the material for over 6 months, I was only finding say one specimen every week for sometimes quite a lot of effort.... so it was pretty hard going, but It makes what you find even more special......

Siltstone and dark shale

post-1630-1241690110_thumb.jpg

Closeup of dark sediment

post-1630-1241690183_thumb.jpg

Anodontacanthus Triangulars Shark Head Spine

post-1630-1241690266_thumb.jpg

Pleurodus Affins - Shark tooth

post-1630-1241690474_thumb.jpg[

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Xenacanthid spine

post-1630-1241690848_thumb.jpg

6 Months of fish bits

post-1630-1241691046_thumb.jpg

Laid out in a drawer with what nodular material there was for that exposure

post-1630-1241691110_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wonderful finds. I also find Carboniferous shark teeth and spine pieces here in northern Alabama, but they fail in comparison to the quality of preservation of your specimens. We also have many coal mines in this state, but they rarely produce anything except plant material and trackways. I would love to see close-ups of your finds. If you haven't done so, perhaps you can create an album in the gallery section of the forum. Thanks.

Thanks for your comments.... it took me a while to lay it out and be happy myself, so im glad it turned out ok....

N.AL.hunter..... Yes I will look into doing that in the future..... I need to have a propper photographing session..... what exactly would you like to see.....I would like to see some of your shark material as well if that is possible.....

we had very good preservation in our area.... heres a link to my plant material for comparison, I found and own everything on the page bar 1......theres some information about the site and a photo of me collecting ..........

http://www.xs4all.nl/~steurh/engcrock/ecrock.html

Theres a link at the bottom of the page to a website as well that has most of the good stuff found there on it by all the collectors......

ps.... Crockhey was a different exposure to where I found the shark stuff......

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks for the link. Those are wonderfully preserved specimens, and there is such a nice variety too. I will post when I can. I am in the process of creating a fossil room in my house. When that is done, which will be soon, I'll take some pics of my Carboniferous teeth.

Awsome finds and great display. It certainly was work the work that went into collecting and preparing.

Congratulations for such nice material. Such a big effort, brings great unique moments. as you know, NO PAIN NO GAIN !!!!

Eureka

awesome finds! Really love the spiders and scorpions on the website. Really to bad they had to fill in the quarry :(

Thanks.....

NAL Hunter..... a fossil rooms sounds great, and cant wait to see your finds.....Please read my answer to bone digger, did you find any of these 'regurgitates' in nodules at all?

Grandpa & Eureka...... Yes I think so too.....and thanks

bone digger.......The best spider I found is on that website too.... '' Antracasiro'' and an insect wing my dad found that displays colour banding in the preservation..... I got about half a dozen other spiders as well including one in what we think is in a regurgitate..... Like some fish have the ability to regurgitate undigestible bits from a meal, we think some of the carb fish did the same.... Theyve also contained millipede fragments and small shells...... in like a phoshphatic blob...... anyone else found this with Rhizodont/ Carb fish material.....

Thanks.....

NAL Hunter..... a fossil rooms sounds great, and cant wait to see your finds.....Please read my answer to bone digger, did you find any of these 'regurgitates' in nodules at all?

bone digger.......The best spider I found is on that website too.... '' Antracasiro'' and an insect wing my dad found that displays colour banding in the preservation..... I got about half a dozen other spiders as well including one in what we think is in a regurgitate..... Like some fish have the ability to regurgitate undigestible bits from a meal, we think some of the carb fish did the same.... Theyve also contained millipede fragments and small shells...... in like a phoshphatic blob...... anyone else found this with Rhizodont/ Carb fish material.....

Terry

Really nice nodule specimens you have collected.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Thanks.....

N. Al. Hunter we love the Vulcan quarries in your area but my favorite place to collect is the coal mine in Jasper, Alabama. We plan to come out your way in the fall when we fly out to Az. then rent a van and collect as we drive to NC.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Well we sure do have plenty of Vulcan Quarries around here. Heck, they are all over the place. The Jasper area sure does have some great strip mines. Problem is getting permission to collect in them or around their perimeters. Maybe in the Fall when you come through we can meet you and swap lies.

I suppose these should go on here to.... for people interested in carb sharks.....They might miss them on the nodular critter ID post......

Vetacapsula (shark Eggcase)

post-1630-1242402738_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1242402795_thumb.jpg

Palaeoxyris (Shark eggcase)

post-1630-1242402765_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

Man I hope to some day find one of those! I have modern egg cases, but a fossil one would be really nice.

Well we sure do have plenty of Vulcan Quarries around here. Heck, they are all over the place. The Jasper area sure does have some great strip mines. Problem is getting permission to collect in them or around their perimeters. Maybe in the Fall when you come through we can meet you and swap lies.

At the coal mine in Jasper they are open to collecting the second weekend of the month. I could send you contact info. if you like. Not sure about summer time since it would be so hot. Will keep you as contact for when we come that way also.

That dark shale presents a lovely fossil, and the "one-fossil-per-slab" makes a great group display.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That dark shale presents a lovely fossil, and the "one-fossil-per-slab" makes a great group display.

Nice Finds! I wish I could find some of those. Nice display too :)