6 1/2 " Spinosaurus Tooth Red Flag

Red flag should be out on this tooth which is currently being offered on an auction site. In my opinion its a good example of a tooth that has skillfully been lengthened by putting two teeth together. Sometimes the price gives it away, $600 for a 6 1/2" tooth is a "STEAL" but in this case they are stealing your money.

post-10935-0-79068200-1458731720_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-58774800-1458731734_thumb.jpg

One can see the changes in direction of the tooth, not a natural curve and the striations stop abruptly at the break

post-10935-0-31263500-1458733094_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 6

Hey Troodon. When I was in Arizona this past January I saw an intire flat of 6 inch or so spino teeth that was so obvious fake that I didn't even ask for a price. Then I see two more at someones booth for sale. The one you show here is really a good fake/rebuilt one compaired to the ones I was seeing. One really does have to be carefull.

RB

Yep there were a lot of the obvious ones on display at the show. I actually think I saw this tooth at Tucson 2 years ago being sold at a reputable dealers room. It was actually being eyed by an online dealer until I pointed out what had been done to it.

Did you see the Raptor Egg being sold by the same seller? What do you think of that? Seeing how its the same guy as this tooth I'd probably be very weary. I was tempted last night when it popped up but I'm buying a boat this afternoon and blew through my dispensable cash for a while! :blink:

I actually, think the egg looked good. You should post it and get comments if it's still available. I'll bet you this seller is clueless that this tooth has a problem.

Good spot I don't have the experience to have spotted that one, but thanks to your explanation I will feel a bit more confident looking for fakes.

I have taken the liberty of photo capturing your post and will keep it on my phone for comparisons.

Regards

Mike

I never would have seen that, and it is still hard even with the pictures you posted, but thank you!

• 2 months later...

Good catch! I'm not a big fan of Spinosaurus teeth. In 20 years I've only bought three. I would be weary of any of these monster 6+ inch spino teeth that you see. Real ones are extremely rare! It's just like Carcharodontosaurus teeth. Not counting teeth with roots, how many six inch Carch teeth have you ever seen? In 20 years I've seen two! It's the same way with Spino teeth.