clemsonskulls

Indianapolis area

clemsonskulls

I will be traveling in the Indianapolis area in two weeks. Can anyone advise me of any road cuts in the area that I could spend some time hunting? Do most of my hunting in creeks in the Charleston area, so this is something different for me, but I sure would like to give it a try.

Raggedy Man

You have to be careful hunting road cuts in Indiana as its against state law. However, enforcement of this law is up to the county you're in. You can always stop at the St.Leon road cut. The cut is southeast of Indy by the Ohio boarder.

Good luck and be careful!

Best regards,

Paul

minnbuckeye

St Leon is a fun place to visit. But a road cut just a mile or two south of Richmond,In may be a little closer (about 1 hour). The site is very abundant in corals, brachiopods, and bryozoans in great preservation. Many are just loose asking to be picked up. If this is your first time collecting the Ordovician, I would give it a try. If you are looking for a little more exotic fossil, then St Leon may be the better pick. Have fun whichever you choose!!!

Mike

Fossil Claw

Make sure you stick to side highway road cuts. Those are legal to collect. Interstate highways are not.

JimTh

Just to clarify this, the state views road cuts as state property. The state police could choose to give you a hard time about picking up rocks. I believe they have said that they have better things to do and as long as you are not digging, they don't care.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, south of Bloomington at the Harrodsburg road cut, people go in there with hammers and chisels every year for geodes and I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed. A few years back, when the rock show was still in Bloomington, people would show up there just before the show with air compressors and air drills/hammers. Never saw the cops giving them grief.

You have to be careful hunting road cuts in Indiana as its against state law. However, enforcement of this law is up to the county you're in. You can always stop at the St.Leon road cut. The cut is southeast of Indy by the Ohio boarder.

Good luck and be careful!

Best regards,
Paul

JimTh

Are you driving in or flying in? If driving, post your approach direction or route.

I will be traveling in the Indianapolis area in two weeks. Can anyone advise me of any road cuts in the area that I could spend some time hunting? Do most of my hunting in creeks in the Charleston area, so this is something different for me, but I sure would like to give it a try.

Packy

I called the state police about collecting on road cuts and they said not on highways, but the state would frown on major digging on side road cuts. packy