Spring Break in Greenville, NC

NCFossils

The kids are on Spring Break this week and my 5 year old son had been telling me for weeks that on his spring break he wanted to hunt for shark teeth. My wife and I decided he was old enough to graduate from the spoil piles at Aurora to GMR in Greenville. Those that have hunted GMR know that the creek is littered with trash and tons of broken glass. We wanted to be sure that he was old enough to understand the dangers and be careful enough not to get hurt. We loaded up and took the drive on what turned out to be a beautiful day. We ended up sifting for about 2 1/2 hours and the kids had a blast! I have had very hit or miss days over the years in the creek, but I think I found today that the key is to take sets of younger better eyes to do the looking. I did the shovel work while they did the sifting and you should have heard the yells of joy when he found his first unbroken mako, a very nice lower. My daughter also made a very nice discovery finding a tooth in perfect condition with both cusps intact, something I had not found in the creek in six years of hunting. My son ended up proclaiming it the "greatest day" . He found a new passion for belemnites, and ended up trading all his his teeth except the mako to his sister for her belemnites. Here are a couple of the kids favorites from the day.

IMG_3033_zps4egwj35k.jpg

I am glad you had a wonderful day collecting with your kids!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds! Heading down to the fossil festival in May, thinking about checking out Greenville, is there a lot of public access to Green Mill Run?

Archived