"Septarian coral"? From Morocco

sdsnl

post-19410-0-60348800-1458812157_thumb.jpg

post-19410-0-88040100-1458812154_thumb.jpg

These were obtained from the Tucson show. The seller said they are septarian coral pairs from Morocco. I can't tell how they are corals, but I thought concretions should be irregular, and they have a regular shape, so they should have a biological origin? Does anyone know what they are?

:zzzzscratchchin: that's a strange one. I realy wonder what these are.

They do look realy cool :)

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I think these are some sort of mineral, and not a fossil at all.

In trying to find out which minerals can form Trigonal di-pyramidal (also called bi-pyramidal) crystal habit (mineral growth, not necessarily "crystals" ) , I came across leisegang banding listed as Pre-Cambrian "stromatolites" from Morocco.

Apparently calling geologic oddities "fossils" sells.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I agree it is not a fossil, but still, I wonder what the geological structure is, It is the 1st time I've seen something shaped like this.

This is new to Me also. I can not see any type of crystal that I know of. Wonder if it could be a seed of some sort.

Tony

PS It is not a coral or septarian nodule as far as I can tell.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It might be one of those stones from the cthulhu mythos , be careful :P

This is new to Me also. I can not see any type of crystal that I know of. Wonder if it could be a seed of some sort.

Tony

PS It is not a coral or septarian nodule as far as I can tell.

Thanks, can you tell what kind of seed it might be? Or what feature is making you think seed? I tried searching about fossil seeds but can't find something similar :head scratch:

Thanks, can you tell what kind of seed it might be? Or what feather is making you think seed? I tried searching about fossil seeds but can't find something similar :head scratch:

It was just a guess based on the unusual shape-- kind of reminds Me of a Brazil nut pod.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It was just a guess based on the unusual shape-- kind of reminds Me of a Brazil nut pod.

Tony

Hahaha I just saw I typed feature as feather :D

Thanks for the pointer, I saw some Brazil nut photos that look similar!

Fossil "living stones"? :unsure:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The vendor who sold these had a couple flats of them. All had a similar shape. I may have seen some uncut at Moussa's booth. I just sent them an email to see if they know what they are.

Thanks!

Yes,that was my thought...

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes,that was my thought...

I've planted them, they actually aren't round, with much of the stem hidden under the soil. So it's quite unlikely...

What is in this picture?

Or could it be an agate Geode cut in half by hand?

That picture is just the 4 pieces put back together to what they should be before being cut in the middle.

I guess it could be an geode, but it has a regular shape and inside structure which is strange. These two are not the only ones, many others with the same appearance have been found. I know very little about minerals, but I understand that geode form in irregular shapes and each one is different, so that is interesting...

That picture is just the 4 pieces put back together to what they should be before being cut in the middle.

I guess it could be an geode, but it has a regular shape and inside structure which is strange. These two are not the only ones, many others with the same appearance have been found. I know very little about minerals, but I understand that geode form in irregular shapes and each one is different, so that is interesting...

you have other samples too? can you put other pictures too? also some very close up images. these samples are very interesting. we should find what might be :|

Archived