"Septarian coral"? From Morocco

sdsnl

By golly they seem geological but could also be biological. Strange objects for sure.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I was bothered by the idea that I've never seen a septarian nodule having this kind of shape, then I remembered where I have seen it.
Maybe, the specimens in question are not to be considered septarian nodules (?), although they present septarian propagation craks.  They might be of a similar geologic formation named Thunderegg . To be more specific, there is a variety of Lithophysa core described as "triconoid". See reference .

post-19410-0-88040100-1458812154.thumb.jpg.65096a46231397d9bb1adcf457ea5ea8.jpgselection.thumb.jpg.18a294e759b2a5dd33b397a7fd0ae906.jpg

Unfortunately, there is only an external view of a specimen, but the description reveals the other side.

Try to search in this direction.

(another white night for me) :)

• I found this Informative 6

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

They might be of a similar geologic formation named Thunderegg .

Good one!!:thumbsu:

Had not thought of it, but it makes a lot of sense!

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I was bothered by the idea that I've never seen a septarian nodule having this kind of shape, then I remembered where I have seen it.
Maybe, the specimens in question are not to be considered septarian nodules (?), although they present septarian propagation craks.  They might be of a similar geologic formation named Thunderegg . To be more specific, there is a variety of Lithophysa core described as "triconoid". See reference .

post-19410-0-88040100-1458812154.thumb.jpg.65096a46231397d9bb1adcf457ea5ea8.jpgselection.thumb.jpg.18a294e759b2a5dd33b397a7fd0ae906.jpg

Unfortunately, there is only an external view of a specimen, but the description reveals the other side.

Try to search in this direction.

(another white night for me) :)

That could be a reasonable solution but the sides seem so smooth to have eroded from a volcanic rock. However, in looking at @abyssunder's previous post (shown below) maybe the smooth side is the exception rather than the rule. Unless I missed it I did not see anyone suggest (nor any results of) the acid test to see if these nodules or the infilling are carbonate or not.

On 11/20/2016 at 2:23 PM, abyssunder said:

I would say they are septarian nodules (as it was suspected way back in the topic), no doubt. Thanks supertramp for your search. I think the case is solved now.

post-19410-0-48831300-1458987102.jpg6731688_orig.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

20 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

That could be a reasonable solution but the sides seem so smooth to have eroded from a volcanic rock. However, in looking at @abyssunder's previous post (shown below) maybe the smooth side is the exception rather than the rule. Unless I missed it I did not see anyone suggest (nor any results of) the acid test to see if these nodules or the infilling are carbonate or not.

The Moroccan specimens are more inflated than the one presented in the document and the sides might be polished a little, looking more smooth.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I started reading the thunder egg reference last night. I barely made a dent in it but am very intrigued. I haven't yet read far enough garner a good understanding of their formation, but WOW. This is fascinating stuff. Thank you @abyssunder for posting it!

44 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

the sides seem so smooth to have eroded from a volcanic rock.

A thunderegg starts as a silicate "bubble" in a rhyolite type magma/lava. As the magma rises to the surface gas trapped in the "bubble" expands and creates a hollow within. After the lava has solidified other minerals can fill the void in the silicate body.

Most thundereggs do have a very smooth surface with ridges crossing the exterior. 

Although these pieces have an unusual shape compared to typical thundereggs., many features do match. 

• I found this Informative 4

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

I started reading the thunder egg reference last night. I barely made a dent in it but am very intrigued. I haven't yet read far enough garner a good understanding of their formation, but WOW. This is fascinating stuff. Thank you @abyssunder for posting it!

You are welcome ! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library