European ammonite literature

JohnBrewer

R.Schlegelmilch. 3 volumes upper, middle and lower jurassic ammonites.

L.Rulleau. All publications on ammonites.

Publications from Callomon, Chandler, Dietze, Dietl, Branger, Howarth

The Treatise Update 2009. The Ammonoidea.

And of course the classics from Buckmann, Quenstedt, D'Orbigny, Hyatt, Bayle, Oppel, Sowerby, etc.

To name a few... :)

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

In addition to those mentioned.

There are hundreds of publications on ammonites. However this one is 'the Bible'. Frederic Romain from the 1930s. About 550 pages. An excellent taxonomy with suture patterns, etc. Opening page and sample page photos below.

My copy is a well used over the decades. Often I enjoy these older publications as pieces of artwork as much as for their information. A few older books can really add an almost gothic ambiance to a fossil display.

An aside...it's difficult to confine paleontology literature to a present day geographic locale. For example A family or genus may have its origin in North Africa ...then species added to it from the Americas, Europe, etc. This is especially true of marine fauna that spread around the world. Thus associated studies are usually based on geologic time scales.

post-19254-0-60861600-1458875517_thumb.jpeg

post-19254-0-12653000-1458875529_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Ridgehiker
  • I found this Informative 2

I agree with the aside. In respect to associated studies, it's often important to learn to distinguish between boreal (northern) and tethyan (southern) fauna in respect to climatic or threshhold changes in the geological record which can be indicated by discoveries of "exotic" fauna in faunal provinces where a particular species doesn't normally occur.

By the way, my list above relates mostly to the Jurassic, since that's my specialty. Jeletzky, HG Owen or WG Kennedy are good for the Cretaceous and Mojsisovics is pretty well imperative for the Triassic.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have an excellent 607 page pdf of this monograph that was mentioned above. It has 54 figured specimens and an additional 53 plates with 500+ figured specimens. It also has another 500 figures of sutures and other technical features. If anyone wants a copy, please send me a PM with email address and I'll be happy to send it.

Roman, F. (1938)
Les ammonites Jurassiques et Crétacées essai de genera.
Masson, Paris

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png