Is this egg real?

Susan from PA

I am interested in bidding on this Oviraporid egg on a popular auction site. With so many fake eggs out there, I wanted to get opinions as to whether it is real or not before bidding. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

post-20686-0-03270600-1458904272_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-82230100-1458904300_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-84841100-1458904354_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-18645900-1458904391_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-40092100-1458904432_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-71538400-1458904461_thumb.jpg

Am I an 'eggspert'? No...but this seems a bit 'soft' on detail one would expect to see. The "shell" appears a little thick. The whole thing has the look of a painted cast.... :mellow:

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Am I an 'eggspert'? No...but this seems a bit 'soft' on detail one would expect to see. The "shell" appears a little thick. The whole thing has the look of a painted cast.... :mellow:

Thanks so much! That's why I asked here first! :).

I am no eggspert either but I was leaning the opposite direction form John. It looks good to me. (Maybe this is one reason I don't buy fossils).

• I found this Informative 1

I'm on the fence looking at it, too. One red flag for me is that this seller is the same one selling the Spinosaurus tooth that is the subject of the thread below this one.

My two cents, very real egg. Eggshell edges very crisp and lots of detail. Not sure seller was aware of Spino tooth issue believe it's unrelated.

Looks like a real egg, with possibly some attached eggshells to cover up bare spots.

No biggie really. It's a nice egg and I would bid for it if I didn't already have two similar ones.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thanks everyone for your "eggspertise!" I guess I'll roll the dice and place a bid. I'd really love to add a fossilized egg to my collection. :D

Personally, I get both sides saying it's fake or real. For me the colour looks pretty real. But the detail looks more like a cast. I'm leaning towards maybe it being real but just being a bit weathered smooth.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Sold for $660! Congrats Susan if that was you! Let us know how it is in person!

Sold for $660! Congrats Susan if that was you! Let us know how it is in person!

Yes! I was the winner! I'm so excited! My first dinosaur egg! Thanks everyone for their help! :).

I'll post more pics with its weight, etc. when it arrives.

Edited by Susan from PA

Yes! I was the winner! I'm so excited! My first dinosaur egg! Thanks everyone for their help! :).

I'll post more pics with its weight, etc. when it arrives.

Gratz Susan! That's a very decent price for an egg of that quality.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Gratz Susan! That's a very decent price for an egg of that quality.

Super pickup at great price.

Thanks so much! Seller has shipped it this morning! :).