Possible Crinoid?

bonesandstone

This was a personal find about 20 yards from my front door. The area has produced gold and other fossils and is at the end of a glacial path. Knox County, Ohio.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have found several of these in varying sizes, but they all look about like this. This site also happens to be at one of the higher points in the county elevation wise.

Thanks everyone!

post-21014-0-27246900-1458928541_thumb.jpg

Fossils: The Original Limited Edition Collectible.

www.bonesandstone.com

This looks like a coral, not a crinoid.

Maybe one of the coral guys will know better what type.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree it's a nice colonial rugose coral, there are a lot that look superficially like that though and being an erratic makes it harder.

Perhaps someone with local knowledge can pin down the age or type further. You might need sections - is there anything of the structure visible in an end view?

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

According to this geologic map, Knox county strata is from the Mississippian era.

Regards,

EDIT: Doh! Outdrawn by HowardI!!

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow, thanks everyone. I didn't expect so many responses so quick. You guys are alright :)

Here is an end cut shot. I hope the image is detailed enough.

post-21014-0-39776500-1458934244_thumb.jpg

www.bonesandstone.com

a good guess would be the Mississippian coral Lithostrotion

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I just spent a moment with the loop and some internet images of Lithostrotion and I think we have a winner. Particularly Lithostrotion aranea.

www.bonesandstone.com

Strictly speaking, members of the genus Lithostrotion are now all cerioid (honeycomb) colonies. Siphonodendron is the branching equivalent and it's close but doesn't look quite right...

Tarquin

I just spent a moment with the loop and some internet images of Lithostrotion and I think we have a winner. Particularly Lithostrotion aranea.

Perils of internet images! - Lithostrotion araneum (the ending had to be regendered) is one of the honeycomb ones. :) (You might have been looking at the old Edwards & Haime plate where it's hard to make out which is which>)

Tarquin

Perils of internet images! - Lithostrotion araneum (the ending had to be regendered) is one of the honeycomb ones. :) (You might have been looking at the old Edwards & Haime plate where it's hard to make out which is which>)

I found it on the internet. It must be right. :P

www.bonesandstone.com

The Lithostrotion coral in Kentucky has been designated as the genus Acrocyathus by the Kentucky Geological Survey.

According to the Treatise, that's a cerioid (honeycomb) genus, like Lithostrotion sensu stricto - these things are tricky...

Tarquin

What initially threw me off was the large amount of space between the individual columns or shafts. All the images I had seen depicted them as being clustered close together.

www.bonesandstone.com

There are two different genus that are very close, they were named Lithostrotionella (the ones connected) and Lithostrotion the ones not connected. This is what we were taught in our Invertebrate paleontology class in the 80s. They have since been redesignated by geologist. West Virginia still calls Lithostrotionella as their State fossil. Of coarse Kentucky has Coal as their State mineral and KY agate as the State Rock. That's what happens when politicians do the naming instead of geologist. The best person to ask about this topic would be Alan Goldstein of the Falls of the Ohio State Park, he is very knowledgeable on corals in this area. You can reach him on facebook.

• I found this Informative 2

Its a coral

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

There are two different genus that are very close, they were named Lithostrotionella (the ones connected) and Lithostrotion the ones not connected. This is what we were taught in our Invertebrate paleontology class in the 80s. They have since been redesignated by geologist. West Virginia still calls Lithostrotionella as their State fossil. Of coarse Kentucky has Coal as their State mineral and KY agate as the State Rock. That's what happens when politicians do the naming instead of geologist. The best person to ask about this topic would be Alan Goldstein of the Falls of the Ohio State Park, he is very knowledgeable on corals in this area. You can reach him on facebook.

Thanks! I will look him up. I have been wanting to take a hunting trip out there with my kids for quite a while.

www.bonesandstone.com