Bayfront Park 3/26/16

Ropterus

Well, still have yet to find my first Meg, but I am happy with this Mako and hemi. Mako is 1 5/8" and I love the color. Biggest hemi I've found so far at 1 3/8". Found a fair amount of decent sized teeth and a few verts as well.

post-20548-0-95550300-1459030253_thumb.jpg

Very nice finds. I like the color on the mako. Hang in there and keep walking those beaches. You'll pop a meg eventually. My first meg came from beachfront. You can see it in my avatar.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Here is a pic of the rest. Nothing is sorted out, just rinsed them off and have them out to dry.attachicon.gifIMG_20160326_200110797-2624x1476.jpg

Thanks for the additional picture.

Nice haul!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks Tony. I was more selective this time and passed over a lot of the smaller teeth. Only picked them up if I saw them when I was going after a bigger tooth. We have been taking a lot of the smaller teeth and ray plates and mixing them up with some of the sand, put the mixture in Mason jars and give to friends, family, and kids to get them interested. Everyone has loved it so far.

post-20548-0-56605800-1459040748_thumb.jpg

post-20548-0-23533700-1459040819_thumb.jpg

Just a suggestion on the photos...

By the way, your first photo of the two teeth is fantastic as far as background and lighting goes.

The other pics, the use of white generally makes for a poor background if you are looking to see details of the fossils...for size and general shape, white works great...we can easily see the size and shape differences in your finds.

If you want good pics with details...try a neutral background, gray or close to gray works real well. Remember, your camera's light meter is searching to come up with an "average" and if you are using a white background, the bright white background material will 'fool' your camera's light meter and the end result is your subject(s) are dark and hard to see.

Here's a pic on a gray non-glare surface of a recent find....notice I'm out-of-doors but in the shade. Shade is usually best UNLESS pics are taken during the "golden hour" at sunrise or sunset when the low sun can really make the subject(s) POP with color and neat shadows.

standard.jpg

Here's another...a pic taken right in the creek bed. These are cool because the natural setting is generally more interesting and and if you look, the various colors and light variations in this pic tend to come back to an over-all 'gray' background which makes the spear-point's details to POP. Note, you can easily see the work done to the spear point by it's maker (a few years ago).

standard.jpg

In this shot, the subject is dark. With the gray background, the detail is still visible. However, it is much brighter than the subject, so if possible, you should try to 'convince' your camera's light meter to focus on the dark subject. This can be done (on i-phones anyway) by getting your photo composed - then tap the screen where the dark subject is shown, this will tell the camera to set it's focus area AND light meter to that chosen area. I suggest trying to get as close to the subject as possible with full focus. Distance is not your friend unless you are trying to describe the 'area' you are hunting.

standard.jpg

Love your finds! I have never seen so many teeth! Congrats.

It's great that you share your "extra" teeth with your friends. Great idea.

When my son and I hunted arrowheads, we used to always give the landowner a "dandy" out of our daily finds. Made them smile and

always got us an invite back! The first time I did this with my son, he about stroked, we gave the farmer's wife a VERY nice bird point (and we did not have many nice bird points). When she smiled and insisted that we come back as often as we like...etc...he got it.

Bob

Love those teeth color on both is awesome.And don't worry yes a meg will eventually make its way into your grasp and then you will transformed into Gollum forever whispering "My Precious".LOL

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for the advice vonfatman. I tried taking so many pictures of the teeth that my wife asked if I was going to get a professional photographer. Haha. I will be sure to take your advice. Thank you!

Thanks Boneheadz!

And darctooth, I felt that way with that Mako, I can't imagine how I'll feel finding a meg. I can't wait!

Someone once said to me that one day you'll be walking along the beach and you'll look down and it'll be right there starring right back at you. It was exactly like described btw.

That's awesome! Each time I go, the teeth I find have been getting bigger and bigger. And just like you say, they are just laying there, passed by who knows how many times. Do you strictly surface collect? I see a few people digging into the piles of fallen debris. Had another guy tell me you have to dig through all of that to find the meg teeth but he stopped because of nearly getting hit by a huge section collapsing near him.

My first meg, which was small was found while sifting. But all of my other megs and makos where done by surface scan. Some were on the beach, some inthe surf, and my nicest most pristine mako was in a chunk of debris that I wouldn't have found had I not got on my hands and knees and stunk my head around a boulder. Everbody has their own method but I feel you might dig all day and find nothing or you can walk the beach back and forth and know you will atleast find something. It is really a gamble. But I usually do good with the surface scan. You have to remember thouth not everything is going to be laid out nicely in front of you. 3 of my megs only had a small part of the root sticking out and where mixed in with pebbles. Had I not took the time to go through those pebbles I would not have found them. And yes all3times I picked up a lot of pebbles before I found the teeth. But it was worth it.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Would also like to add i have dug the piles once for a short period of time and found a dolphin vert and some associated bone and a couple tiger shark teeth. And a few times surface scanned the top of some huge piles andfound a nice shark vert and some unbroken shells.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Archived