Opinions on this plesiosaur tooth?

SpringGroveUK

Hi. I'm looking to purchase this tooth but, being a novice collector, I would like some opinions first. This one is listed as being from Morocco phosphate (Ouled Abdoum), and I am scared of anything coming out of Morocco. I know these teeth are inexpensive, but... Morocco. :mellow: Thanks.

post-21043-0-05141600-1459046898_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-63147000-1459046907_thumb.jpg

post-21043-0-70040100-1459046942_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me. A couple of cracks in the tooth that should be stablized with a drop of glue to keep it from coming apart.

Good tooth. There's also some shark's teeth and bones in there as well which I think is pretty neat.

It's real, and looks good.

Single Plesiosaur teeth are rarely, if ever, faked from Morocco.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

A good tooth in original matrix, by all appearances. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks again. I was wondering, is it possible to tell exactly what species of plesiosaur it is from just this tooth? The seller said only that it is a Cretaceous period plesiosaur tooth found in the Ouled Abdoun sediment.

Runner64, I was wondering about that little bit with the shark's tooth appearance. I'm curious to see how it looks up close when it comes in.

While there is likely to be more than one species of plesiosaur from Ouled Abdoun, the only properly described species with good material is Zarafasaura oceanis (older name is Plesiosaurus mauritanicus).

For now, it's safe to call it Zarafasaura.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Is there any way to tell if the matrix is original, or artificial? I see teeth for sale in matrix, which look good, but don't want fake matrix...

I think you can buy looking at what else is in the matrix. Most fakes are associated with jaw pieces and not with individual teeth. If you have a concern post it. Lots of good advice to be obtained.

While there is likely to be more than one species of plesiosaur from Ouled Abdoun, the only properly described species with good material is Zarafasaura oceanis (older name is Plesiosaurus mauritanicus).

For now, it's safe to call it Zarafasaura.

Thanks much. I'm glad I found this board.

Archived