Central Texas pond find

mattandy84

Hello all! I found this strange wavy rock in one of my Austin TX ponds. Anyone have a guess to what it is?

post-11910-0-86411700-1459095614_thumb.jpg

post-11910-0-14432500-1459095661_thumb.jpg

post-11910-0-33483100-1459095680_thumb.jpg

post-11910-0-12526400-1459095696_thumb.jpg

post-11910-0-29939200-1459095721_thumb.jpg

I believe what you have here is a piece of banded chert. The ridges and dips are due to the differentiation in hardness and thus erosion rate between the various layers.

• I found this Informative 2

I believe what you have here is a piece of banded chert. The ridges and dips are due to the differentiation in hardness and thus erosion rate between the various layers.

Grandpa is right; this is a classic piece of Central Texas, differentially weathered banded chert.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with jnot, stromatolite

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Grandpa is right; this is a classic piece of Central Texas, differentially weathered banded chert.

I do not see the conchoidal fracture that I would expect from a chert.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm in the banded chert camp. A very nice example! Looks to glassy for Stromatolite, in my opinion.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I do not see the conchoidal fracture that I would expect from a chert.

Tony

Several of the photos show 'chips' in the chert where you can see the interior rock. This is a very typical piece for the Austin, TX area. Some of the chert nodules around here develop a chalky cortex that can vary in texture and thickness. I've often used the whole rocks to illustrate how banded chert can look completely different on the inside vs. the outside...by giving them a good whack with a hammerstone to knock a flake off.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If you knock a flake off and it fractures conchoidally, then I would say it's chert. However, I'm no expert when it comes to stromatolites.