Belle698

Day Trips from Christchurch

Belle698

Hi,

I have two days in Christchurch in April and I was looking to go fossil hunting somewhere close by :)

I'm unfortunately over for work, so I only have the 7am to 5pm-ish available on two days - what would be the best place to visit? I've read a bit about Oaro and that seems like a must! Other than that I was wondering if people have been to Mt Cass, Motunau or other sites within a few hours of Christchurch and have a preference? I'll have a car so transport isn't a problem and I'm a farm girl so rough country/long walk won't bother me either (in fact would probably be preferred).

Ideally I would love to find something, anything, Mosasaur for a nephew that is obsessed with them, but personally I'd love a bony tooth bird specimen or even just some nice petrified wood. That's the wish list, but happy to poke around all day and find nothing of significance as well - at least it would give me a good excuse to come back!

Thanks for your help!

PS - Happy to have company if any local hunters are free on a Friday :)

ElToro

Hi there! I live in Aus so can't help, but after a quick search on here I found a post from 2013 about fossil hunting near Christchurch. The member found some very cool stuff! I'm not sure how to attach the link for the post, but if you type it in search you're bound to find it.

jpc

Tumidocarcinus ... Found on the coast North of Christchurch. I can't remeber the name of the pkace. Sorry.

McHorse

Motunau is a great place to find various crabs and bone. The last two times I've been to Motunau I've come away with fairly large bits of bone, the largest of which was a whale jaw and maxilla which was about 300 mm long. All were found about 200m from the carpark on the beach below the cliffs.