Pachycephalosaurid/Thescelosaurus Tooth Identification

Troodon

• 2 years later...

Just thought I'd share a colour image of the holotype of Thescelosaurus (NCSM 15728). I still don't have a tooth from either Pachycephalosaurus or Thescelosaurus.

20210312_211514.jpg

• Thank You 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

@Jaimin013

Beautiful skull but not the Holotype.  It's the well preserved skull of "Willo" that was used in the illustrations in my first page of this topic from the publication:

"The cranial anatomy of the neornithischian dinosaur Thescelosaurus neglectus"
Clint A. Boyd 2014

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

@Jaimin013

Beautiful skull but not the Holotype.  It's the well preserved skull of "Willo" that was used in the illustrations in my first page of this topic from the publication:

"The cranial anatomy of the neornithischian dinosaur Thescelosaurus neglectus"
Clint A. Boyd 2014

Ah ok thanks, it's a really well preserved skull regardless.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

• 7 months later...

A new paper finally does an assessment of the the dentition of Thescelosaurus neglectus and Stegoceras validum.    Although the paper focus on these two species the information can be useful to identify teeth from other Thescelosauridae and Pachycephalosauridae in different faunas.   The paper does a multivariate analysis on the teeth but I think in this case pictures get you most of the way there. 

For those of you with teeth from the Hell Creek Formation/Lance Formation:

Thescelosauridae: Thescelosaurus neglectus is present so those teeth are easy to identify.  Thescelosaurus garbanii also described may be synonymous to T. neglectus so unless new information is presented T. neglectus should be okay,  otherwise teeth are an indeterminate Thescelosaurid.

Pachycephalosauridae: Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis and Sphaerotholus buchholtzae is present.   Stygimoloch spinifer, Dracorex hogwartsia are considered by many as growth stages of P. wyomingensis.  If you a not on board with that the all the teeth should be identified as Indeterminate Pachycephalosaurid.   If the growth stage works for you not sure how one can distinguish teeth between P. wyomingensis and S. buchholtzae but the latter is very small like Stegoceras with the holotype skull around 10 cm.   So larger teeth with root > 15 mm are most likely P. wyomingensis.   

Paywalled:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667121003062

Stegoceras validum

STegoeras2.thumb.JPG.add689742a55b81796d5aded95549b91.JPG

STegoeras.thumb.JPG.32d3cd943343c91451b79592a93d4a89.JPG

Thescelosaurus neglectus

Dentition1.thumb.JPG.f1f63e98ce08a4793a4969f7d66c70a9.JPG

D: Pre- Maxillary

F: Maxillary

H: Dentary

Dentition.thumb.JPG.fecccfc7cb9ab5277106da1687d62ab9.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 year later...

Would this also be the case for the new Platytholus that got described a while back?