Pachycephalosaurid/Thescelosaurus Tooth Identification

Troodon

As usual, the professional paleontologists have the worst specimens. Most of these teeth are not in very good condition. I wish he had better examples to put in his book.   

• 1 year later...

Is this pachy or thescelosaurus? It was found in the hell creek formation in South dakota and is 6cm in lenght. The biggest tooth is 5mm in "height"

also what might it be worth?

it still needs a lot of prepping and i'll send some pics when it is finished (if needed)

thanks already!

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6815.JPG

Welcome to the forum. One of our experts should be along shortly.

Please be advised, as per forum rules, that we do not provide appraisals of the commercial value of fossils.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It's Thescelosaurus.  The teeth appear to be all unerupted and once prepped should be very nice.  Nice big section most found are half that size.  Nice pickup.

• I found this Informative 2

Im guessing this one is close to adult size maybe a bit smaller.  So after you clean it up your specimen see how it fits but my guess its about the same size

Scale bar 10 cm

Screenshot_2018-01-07-14-21-37.jpg.af524755cba2ae036208afa0cc2f5582.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 months later...

@Troodon What do you think about this Thescelesaurus neglectus specimen? Seller says the site at which it was found was Hell Creek Formation, Garfield County, Montana

HCF03A.jpg

HCF03B.jpg

Hcf03c.jpg

Hcf03d.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Tooth is indeed a Rooted Thescelosaurus and the locality is good.   Not sure if the gouge in the crown is a wear facet or a postmortem break.   Since the grooves in the gouge run laterally more inclined to think it's not a wear facet.  Crown has some wear seen a lot crisper ones and a lot worst.  Nice addition to any collection if priced right.

• I found this Informative 3

• 5 weeks later...

@Troodon how about this one? The seller is identifying it as Pachycephalosaurus sp. and it has the location information of Hell Creek Formation, Harding County, SD, USA but I think it looks like a Thescelesaurus maxillary tooth instead by comparing it to one of your photos.

6361-DSC_1296.jpg

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You are correct its Thescelosaurus 

@TroodonGreat thanks a lot for confirming! It's currently priced at $299 but not sure I can really get one cheaper. I may end up getting this one below instead but its $325.00 which I think is nice as it is fully rooted

HCF03A.jpg

That is a much nicer tooth and is fully rooted.  Both teeth appear to be expensive but available.

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

That is a much nicer tooth and is fully rooted.  Both teeth appear to be expensive but available.

Ok thanks a lot! I'll try to contact the seller of the rooted tooth via email to see if it is still available and if they reply will try to negotiate the price a little as it has been on their website for quite a while now.

Remind him that a portion of the center of the root is missing and that rooted Thescelosaurus teeth are readily available.

16 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Ok thanks a lot! I'll try to contact the seller of the rooted tooth via email to see if it is still available and if they reply will try to negotiate the price a little as it has been on their website for quite a while now.

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Remind him that a portion of the center of the root is missing and that rooted Thescelosaurus teeth are readily available.

snarge got a response from the seller of the rooted tooth. It has already sold but they helpfully didn't updated their site to say it is sold and left the price on their website! -.- I will keep looking around as you say they are readily available.

6 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

snarge got a response from the seller of the rooted tooth. It has already sold but they helpfully didn't updated their site to say it is sold and left the price on their website! -.- I will keep looking around as you say they are readily available.

Darn! 

That was a really nice looking tooth! :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Darn! 

That was a really nice looking tooth! :(

I know right but I am certain another one that is rooted will come around hopefully in the future!

7 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Boy not having luck, but like I said these teeth do come up for sale, just as nice if not better so its just a slight bump in the road

• 8 months later...

@Troodon Hi Frank, what are your thoughts on this tooth? It's 14mm long. I thought it was Thescelosaurus initially but I noticed it seem to have a rise in the middle that resembles Pachycephalosaurid

20190227_233409_2.jpg

20190227_233621_01.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Here's another picture

20190227_235557.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Just now, -Andy- said:

Here's another picture

I'm inclined to say Pachy not just the center ridge but the offset to the face of the crown.

post-10935-0-92314800-1459193461_thumb.jpg.103d05a1675e2da6959c90354e6d9ddc.jpg

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I'm inclined to say Pachy not just the center ridge but the offset to the face of the crown.

post-10935-0-92314800-1459193461_thumb.jpg.103d05a1675e2da6959c90354e6d9ddc.jpg

Thanks Frank. I will compare against more pictures. What do you mean by the offset to the face of the crown?

@Troodon I like the detail on the tooth, seller thinks Thescelosaurus, would you agree with this? I think it's more likely Thescelosaurus too Thanks!

s-l500.jpgs-l500s.jpg

51 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

@Troodon I like the detail on the tooth, seller thinks Thescelosaurus, would you agree with this? I think it's more likely Thescelosaurus too Thanks!

Its thescelosaurus