Mississippian Fish Tooth Experts...

Peat Burns

Hello,

Can anyone help me put a name on this tooth from the Big Clifty Formation (Late-Mississippian: Chesterian) of Crawford County, Indiana? It may be a plate of several teeth, I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,

Peat Burns

post-20359-0-57146400-1459277464_thumb.jpg

Outstanding! Don't know my Paleozoic shark teeth as well as my much younger ones but I can say this is special. It may very well be a tooth file of 4 teeth. Maybe something akin to Orodus? Nice find!

Dr. John Maisey offers:

"looks like fused up tooth family (Helodus teeth are sometimes like that... I think they were called Pleuroplax)."

• I found this Informative 2

These are beautiful! I agree with an Orodus sp. but if not something very similar like Helodus. It is indeed a tooth plate, great find!

Sam

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you, Carl, Sam, and John. I also saw some similarity with the Helodus ("Pleuroplax-type"). I will continue to examine this possibility along with the genus Orodus. Helodus has been confirmed at the site. Orodus has been reported with reservation. Thanks very much for your help and suggestions!

Peat Burns

There has been a large influx of Carb. teeth recently. Looks like an Orodus plate of teeth to me, which is one of the few paleozoic sharks that are well described because of the fact that they have a full skeleton of one.

Here is what you found! I like to print photos of what my fossils looked like and display them next to it.

post-17665-0-53157200-1459287404_thumb.jpg

Image courtesy of Wikipedia page on Orodus.

• I found this Informative 1

I am in agreement with the opinion that it is an Orodus plate. Wonderful find! Congrats.

Fossils: The Original Limited Edition Collectible.

www.bonesandstone.com

• 1 year later...

I just saw this post. I hesitate to open an old topic, but this is quite interesting.This is a shark tooth file. It resembles Helodus coxanus, but is not identical. The teeth are much broader. These are photos of the type specimen of Helodus coxanus in the Smithsonian. This might be something new.

USNM_H_coxanus.jpg

USNM V 3518_5.4434x2574.jpg

USNM V 3518_6.2791x3153.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, wayne_colorado said:

I hesitate to open an old topic, but this is quite interesting.This is a shark tooth file. It resembles Helodus coxanus, but is not identical. The teeth are much broader. These are photos of the type specimen of Helodus coxanus in the Smithsonian. This might be something new.

I for one am glad You did reply to this old thread.

Very nice fossil, thanks for sharing it here!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yes this is a classic Helodus tooth plate. I see that I posted over a year ago that this is an Orodus, but that's wrong. There is no reason to ID it any further than that, as there were likely dozens of species of Helodus roaming about this area. I for one probably have nearly a hundred of these teeth, none of which can be narrowed down to a particular species except for H. simplex, which has the tell-tale ridges around the edge of the tooth. As an example, here is a page from the 1866 Geological Survey of Illinois,  Vol. 2 by Worthen, that shows quite a few teeth that all belong to Helodus species. There are some groups of teeth that appear similar to each other, but without a full jaw set, there is no way to differentiate tooth types from species-specific tooth types.

The same rule applies to a lot of the Moroccan theropods. 

15054421042698053898007378057058.thumb.jpg.f45a29dc4a6721efbdfe64f4864d264e.jpg

• I found this Informative 2