There are only 3 Semi-Complete Rex Skeletons?

Isaac

Hi all!

I'm a writer and I'm working on a short story about Paleontology. I write about things that catch my interest and I think I saw on a cereal box somewhere there where only 3 (mostly complete) Rex skeletons. Only 3!

My question is how much do we usually find when it comes to Rex's at dig sites? Is it a bone here and there, or like a quarter or so of the animal. I find it very weird that we only have 3 after all these years.

Anyway, thought I'd ask some experts rather than make things up, haha ;)

Thanks!

-Isaac

I do not know the total number, but it is more than 3. I read a paper about a death trap that had 7 individuals in it.

Most dino finds are from disarticulated bones. Articulated skeletons are much rarer.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

There's much more than that - dozens of specimens more than 50% complete (50% completeness is a lot in vertebrate paleontology). Jack Horner mentions in his public presentations that T. rex is a particularly well known dinosaur and something like 50 partial skeletons are known.

T-rex is largely known from the Hell Creek Formation, which was a highly turbid, riverine/estuarian environment - very similar to what the Mississippi River delta in Louisiana is like today. Because of this high energy environment, when an animal died, its skeleton was very rarely held intact, pieces would drift down rivers and bays and be deposited elsewhere. Further, scavenging animals would disperse bits and pieces of the dead T-rex.

Most T-rex fossils are found either alone or alongside a few other associated bones and teeth. Full and nearly full skeletons(>70%) are incredibly rare, but enough have been found to accurately reproduce the anatomy of the dinosaur. Teeth and random bones of the animal are not at all rare in the Hell creek.

Hope this helps!

Edited by TNCollector
  • I found this Informative 1

There are probably over 50 rex skeletons found in different levels of completeness. Sue at the field museum is the most complete at 85%. A couple around 60% like Stan at 70% but most of the rest were less than 50%. The Wikipedia page shows the more famous ones. Every site is different, there is no standard find.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specimens_of_Tyrannosaurus

A bit out date but the attached photo from the Black Hills Institute gives you a perspective of what has been found with detail. The percentage completion continues to be updated with new finds and better accuracy like Stan which 70 not 80 as the chart shows

post-10935-0-52548100-1459289738_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 2

I hate to sound like a wise acre, but I like to think a writer would use better sources than cereal boxes. : )

There is a more updated version of Pete Larson's list troodon posted. I think it lists 48 specimens. And I know of at least 4 more (including the one I found...shameless brag). And the one chele's husband (from this very fossil forum) found. (We have not heard a peep from her in a long long time).

Something that must also be considered is that there are two ways to measure percentage of the skeleton. Volume and bone count. The one I found ("Lee Rex") is pretty low in bone count, about 20%, but much higher in volume as it has a lot of big bones. Also, I can't recall if Pete Larson counts the skull as one bone or 35 (?) in his lists.

In the end, there is no one answer to your question..."How much do we usually find of a T rex?"

• I found this Informative 2

jpc is correct here is a more current specimen list 2005, from the bhi web site. I currently know of one rex with a private dealer that is around 60 complete, a couple of museums are looking at it. Quite a few have been found since 2005 but most are under 50%. I think we are looking at around 50 specimens

TrexSpecimenCatalog.pdf

Edited by Troodon

there is an updated 2008 version in Pete's book "Tyrannosaurus rex; The Tyrant King". My copy is not here with me, so I can't update troodon's post. The list has 48 specimens.

there is an updated 2008 version in Pete's book "Tyrannosaurus rex; The Tyrant King". My copy is not here with me, so I can't update troodon's post. The list has 48 specimens.

Here you go!

post-20686-0-71499000-1459383741_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-38700900-1459383783_thumb.jpg

post-20686-0-54976600-1459383819_thumb.jpg