How to distingquish fake from real Ammonites

SCSeaGal15

Ok before I get laughed off the forum, I have to state that I purchased this not knowing if it was real but loving it for the aesthetic factor. Been a long time beachcomber/shell collector and as a result have found some sea fossils over the years, like shark's teeth and fossil shells. I do not know anything about ammonites. I bought this at a store that specializes in home décor and often has a mish mash of imported items. I have seen real shells there as well as agate décor items. I basically love anything with a seashell or sea fossil on it, real or not!

Began to look at rough fossil ammonites on line and really can't determine how to tell difference. I do not see any holes in this one produced by air bubbles, which was one thing to look for. I smelled it and I get a clay smell. Have done pottery with clay so I know the smell.

It measures about 7" x 7" widest part and about 2 5/8" deep.

Weighs 5 lbs 15.9 ounces.

I know this came wrapped in plastic with an "India" stamp on plastic before they unwrapped to sell.

So you ammonite experts have a go at it and tell me what you see! I love to learn!

post-20049-0-95453500-1459348099_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-58388500-1459348111_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-21311900-1459348123_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-23818700-1459348134_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-57468900-1459348185_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-19452800-1459348199_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-45326600-1459348209_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-40753000-1459348222_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-59278600-1459348263_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-82958400-1459348279_thumb.jpg

And I meant to add that it is obvious that the center has been sculpted. Forgot to attach photo of back so here it is.

post-20049-0-76844800-1459348666_thumb.jpg

Hello from a fellow East Tennessean.

Your ammonite is almost certainly real, but it has had a VERY bad prep job, and the center has been sculpted heavily. This happens to a lot of specimens. I have one almost identical to yours.

Hello Oak Ridge from K-town! Thanks for your response. Very helpful. I was seeing parts that look real. I thought it might have been heavily sculpted beyond the center as I see line marks where it looks like it has been carved between the ridges but I didn't know if this normally happens when stripping away matrix. Tell me more about the VERY bad prep job that you see. As I said, I am here to learn.

See the attached image. Area highlighted in black appears to be nearly 100% sculpted. Area in yellow appears to be significantly sculpted with a few parts being real. And the area in green is real, but appears to be very scratched up. For those reasons, I say that the preparator worked way to fast, and sculpted a large majority of this piece when he/she probably didn't have too.

But don't get me wrong, it is still a nice ammo! It is a creature that lived a very long time ago and was swimming around in the sea. Like I said, I have one just like it that is still displayed on my desk.

EDIT: Forgot to attach photo.

post-17665-0-07671800-1459352428_thumb.jpg

Great teaching job! Yes, I can see what you are saying. The deeper ridges of the part you highlighted in green do look more authentic now that you pointed out. Yes, I like it more knowing it is real even though poorly done, well worth the aesthetic value. As I said, love all things sea and would even like an ammonite if it were on a t-shirt.(: I paid $22 for it and the fake ones at places that are stated as fake don't look near this interesting and cost about 4 times as much. Fun and interesting artsy piece , which is what I was going for. Thanks for the help TN collector.

Any good fossil hunting areas in East Tn? Never done that beyond the fossil firm piece I have in my back yard as I child when I was burying my pet turtle, LOL! I've heard middle Tn much better.

That is a great artsy peice! There are not many good places in far East Tennessee, especially around the Knoxville area. A large portion of the stone is made of very unfossiliferous Cambrian limestone. Driving West, if you go towards the Nashville area, the limestone becomes very fossiliferous once you reach Cumberland county and all the way west past Nashville to Decatur county. The whole area in between those two counties is very good for fossil hunting. If you are ever in Nashville, PM me and I will send you the location of a very good Ordovician spot to find geodized brachipods and other goodies in the Leipers Formation.

Happy hunting!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you! Yes, it does look like mine. As for the 2 links you sent, are the first ones less enhanced and more natural and second link more enhanced? I so think it is an interesting piece for fun to view every day. Makes me happy. (:

Yes, you are correct. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived