Ammonite/Ammonoid from (Unknown) Locality/Age

whowat13

I was told that these were from Morocco, but am not able to match them up with anything from there.

It seems to not be calcite, but quartz in it.

Grid is 0.25 inch scale.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

As far as I can tell, they are real (not fake)...

-Bill

post-5742-0-28379700-1459358097_thumb.jpgpost-5742-0-15293500-1459358102_thumb.jpg

Cool ammonite :D !

The only think that I could assure is that your specimen belong to Ammonitida order (you can see it on flower-shaped sutures).

However, try to compare with Atlas Mountain ammonites.

Regards,

The more common Moroccan ammonites are Cleoniceras or Schloenbachia, but I'm not at all sure about that with this one...wait a minute! Are those 2 different ammonites? What throws me is the form of the septa on the one on the left compared with the sutures on the one on the right. The one on the left would then be a goniatite. If I am correct in my assumption, then please post photos of the reverse sides of each.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree with Roger, they looks to be different species. Maybe they're from Madagascar rather than from Morocco. I'm going with Desmoceras for the left one.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sorry... This is two views, but the same specimen... I will go look at the Atlas Mountain Ammonites, though.

I do have more than one of these...

-Bill

Edited by whowat13

These are my other 3... The one at the top left is about 1.5x thicker than the other 3 (including the one already pictured).

I will have to add the other view of these to another reply...

-Bill

post-5742-0-09709600-1459475088_thumb.jpg

I have found that with ammonites that have calcite infillings such as these (we get them quite often in WY), there is too much calcite on the insides to see the actual sutures.

The more common Moroccan ammonites are Cleoniceras or Schloenbachia, but I'm not at all sure about that with this one...wait a minute! Are those 2 different ammonites? What throws me is the form of the septa on the one on the left compared with the sutures on the one on the right. The one on the left would then be a goniatite. If I am correct in my assumption, then please post photos of the reverse sides of each.

I think the chamber walls in any ammonite/goniatite/etc are a simple curve in the middle but get more convoluted as you go toward the outer wall.

Sorry... This is two views, but the same specimen...

Hmm. I've learned something new today, and that is that outside appearances don't always show what's on the inside...

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

For me the ammonoid looks cretaceous in time. Maybe Pseudotissotia or Vasoceras.

Thank you all for your help.

I just looked at images on google, and I think it is a Thomasites pseudotissotia...

I also saw that some are found in Nigeria.

-Bill