Enhanced Heteromorphs from Drôme, France

JohnBrewer

I guess restoration is OK up to a point but are overly restored Heteromorphs common coming out Drôme? I've picked a couple up at what seems to be an average price for these examples in this condition. There's some resin between the ammos and matrix maybe as support. Do they often come out broken and are stuck back together? Certainly there is something going on as there is little room twixt ammo and matrix and ammos have been prepped there which looks far too clean to have been done on matrix. I've not yet had time to look for minute resin air bubbles on the fossils but the resin support doesn't look like it was hidden too well. I guess this could be intentional to show or a rubbish enhancement. One is soaking in water at the moment, acetone and UV lights are in my studio so can't do those tests tomorrow tho I might use Mrs B's nail polish remover to look for resin/colouring on the fossils. I'll get a hot needle out too.

Rough images with not much info below, I'll take better pics later.

Thanks

John

post-20550-0-76048000-1459367431_thumb.jpegpost-20550-0-21830300-1459367445_thumb.jpeg

In an act of stupidity I think this should have been posted in the 'Is It Real' section so admins if you think I have please move.

Edited for stupidity.....

I have collected and prepped a few of these. It seems that the ones you get on the markets have generally been color enhanced. The ammonites tend to be much closer in color to the rock color. Many times when you find them they are in several rock pieces, so it could be that some of them have some reconstruction if some of the smaller slivers of rock are not found. As for yours, I cannot say from just photos.

Most certainly all legit , but enhanced for color , as JPC said .

You must know also thta from these locations the ombilic is almost always pretty flattened also .

The very first thing that stuck out to me is the color. Just doesn't look right, but having never prepped these before I certainly think they are real.

RB

John... They could simply be stuck to the matrix for display purposes...I have seen this done with some UK specimens, namely Blockley stuff........

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I agree. Also there is too much wear on the parts that should have been protected from erosion by matrix. It seems like that part of the rock would have been removed in the preparation leaving a better preserved surface.

I agree, I think they've been extracted in a couple of pieces or more, fixed, prepped, enhanced and remounted on a slab.

No didn't pay much. €140 including shipping from France to the UK and I'm happy with that. Appreciate all your comments guys.

Those heteromorphs are most certainly real, but they've been colour enhance and probably reglued. Nice heteromorphs. Are they yours?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived