Morocco Trilobite Hunting Adventure

trilobyter

As an avid trilobite hunter, I have always been fascinated by the trilobites from Morocco. One of my first trilobites was one of the ubiquitous Calymenes from Morocco, and I have always wondered what collecting there would be like. Having a bit of a break before starting my new job, I found a (relatively) cheap last minute ticket to Marrakesh from San Francisco, and set off for a weeklong collecting trip to the Anti-Atlas Mountains near the trilobite capitol of Alnif, Morocco. I found a local trilobite digger who was able to guide me around the many remote dig sites, with a focus on the beautifully preserved Devonian trilobites. After nearly 24 hours of travel to get to Marrakesh, I took an 8 hour bus ride to the town of Tinghir, where my guide picked me up and drove me another hour to the small town of Alnif.

We went to many of the classic Devonian localities, including Jbel Issoumour, Mrakib, Oufaten, Atchana, Timerzite, and ended off the trip to find some of the common Ordovician Calymenes at Jbel Tiskaouine near town. The collecting was hard - I anticipated it being difficult but underestimated the level of effort required to find these bugs. Having spent a considerable amount of time digging in Utah, working the hard limestones of Pierson Cove, this was on a whole another level. Unlike the nice shales/limestones of Utah, the rocks do not split into nice sheets, but fractured randomly with no discernable bedding planes. This required digging out large blocks of limestone, and then using 3 lb hand sledges, these blocks were broken into progressively smaller pieces, looking for cross sections of the trilobites, which oftentimes only looked like a random squiggly line if that. These pieces were then pieced back together like a jigsaw puzzle, and carefully wrapped to ensure all the pieces were preserved. My guide was able to tell what type of trilobite it was and its completeness based on the cross section alone - something I would have never been able to do.

After 6 days of digging, we ended up with close to 100 complete trilobites - including several Phacops, Cyphaspis, Gerastos, Hollardops, Leonaspis, Cornuproetus, Crotocephalus, Odontochile, Scuttelum, and Walliserops, and of course several nice Calymenes. I now have a world class collection of (unprepared) Moroccan trilobites. :) I have my work ahead of me - it will likely take me years before I have the time to prepare them all. It was an amazing adventure, but not one that I will likely repeat in the near future, given the distance from the West Coast. And overall, the collecting was less enjoyable than I had hoped - swinging a 3 lb hand sledge for hours on end to look for a faint trace of a trilobite just wasn't nearly as rewarding as my experiences in collecting in Utah, where complete trilobites would pop out with the swing of a small brick hammer. I now have a much greater appreciation for the work and effort that goes into securing one of these amazing Moroccan bugs.

I'm happy to share information with anyone who is interested in a similar trip - feel free to PM me. I may also consider a trade for some of this unprepped material - but given how much blood sweat and tears it took to get this stuff, it might take a lot of convincing. :P

Here are a few pics:

Jbel Issoumour near Bou Dib - you can see the light grey Psychopyge couche layer running for miles

20160319_104240_zpsoosaoqmj.jpg

Jbel Mrakib - found many Cyphaspis here

20160319_162614_001_zpssrfcqci9.jpg

A typical trilobite found in cross section from the hard limestones - I believe these are two Phacops

20160320_155026_zpsrqlcpn3b.jpg

Working the hard limestones at Jbel Oufaten

20160320_170839_zpsdsgecdto.jpg

A nice Scuttelum from Oufaten

20160320_171440_zpsept1ayjv.jpg

Atchana - where backhoes have been brought in to expose the trilobite layer several feet below the surface

20160321_135718_zpsyqwweqgz.jpg

Phacops from Atchana - you can see the detailed schizochroal eye popping out

20160321_104149_zpse5jye4js.jpg

The workings at upper Atchana

20160321_143403_zpsxkht47sh.jpg

A nice Paralejurus from upper Atchana

20160321_144447_zpsxnhs8b0m.jpg

The scenery reminded me a lot of the House Range in Utah - except you see these guys

20160322_085821_zps7g1rw40r.jpg

Working the Harpes Couche of Jbel Issoumour

20160322_100204_zpsoi6uzp1o.jpg

Another view of the Psychopyge couche of Issoumour - it has been trenched for miles and miles

20160322_174615_zps7z0pfqvk.jpg

I found these two nice complete Hollardops as float while walking around the trenches of the Psychopyge couche - pretty rare to find them exposed to this extent just lying around

20160322_175324_zpsbzc9fbpa.jpg

Jbel Timerzite - found several nice Walliserops and Leonaspis here that will take a lot of preparation. The town of Timerzite can be seen in the background.

20160323_092248_zpstgxmrdsh.jpg

Jbel Tiskaouine - where the Moroccan Calymene trilobites found in shops all over the world are from

20160324_103158_zpswbyo4zi7.jpg

Sorting all of our finds at the end of the trip - I was barely able to fit it all into my one checked bag and carryon bags.

20160324_123918_zpsierw06vc.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

Wow! That is a life long dream trip for me.

Awesome finds! I can't wait to see them prepped.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I can only imagine what it must of felt like to collect there.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

WOW.

You had no problems with the security???

My understanding is that sometimes is not very safe for tourists, specially Americans

Nice report! Great (large) pics and description of your experience. I hope the photobucket-hosted pics don't disappear from the Forum anytime soon...

I think anyone who gets to collect at Utah is spoiled, but then so is anyone who gets to collect in Morocco despite the work involved. You took home quite a haul. I only have a couple prepped Moroccan bugs because I can't go there and can't prep anything. I would go there to collect the Fezouata if I could. Oddities such as Discophyllum... (and less prepping needed there)

wow, what an amazing adventure!

Thanks for sharing!

A trip of a lifetime for many of us im sure!

Excellent report... Morocco for trilobites and shark teeth has been on my bucket list for a while. PM sent.

Awesome trip. I'd love to go to Morocco for dinosaurs and reptiles, but I don't have the money or resources. Maybe something for the bucket list?

Great report and pictures!

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Trip of a lifetime, I am in awe of anyone who actually does it, especially from the West Coast......

I am curious -- say you are not a prepper at all...can you deposit the unprepped trilos with a local, skilled prepper and pay X dollars to have them finish it out for you and ship? Would it be less expensive than, say, a completed bug that has been found, prepped and shipped by a local distributor?

---Prem

Great trip! I find it amazing that your were able to organize all that and it paid off so amazingly. Thanks for all the photos and a great report.

Thanks for a great report. It's a good reminder about the real value of these Moroccan trilobites and how much hard work and knowledge goes into finding, extracting and preparing them. I think I recognize the young fellow in the middle of the last photo where the finds are being sorted. I believe he was at our recent fossil show in Stuttgart offering his raw material to our trilobite enthusiasts.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

lcordova - I had no real problems with security. Morocco is relatively tourist friendly, and I did not feel in danger at any point, although while in Marrakesh, there were many people out to try to scam you out of your money (fake tour guides, snake charmers, etc.). Once outside of the big city, I did not feel any less secure than being in any small town in the US.

Ludwigia - You have a good eye, yes he had just returned from a show at Stuttgart following my trip. His father was the one who guided me and they sell their finds at shows in Europe and Tucson.

Nice report ! Thanks !

Brings back fond memories .

As for security , I would feel a lot more comfortable down there than say, in Casa or Marakkech ...

I am very grateful to 'see how it's done' in Morocco; thank you for your fine report :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We are headed to Morocco on Friday. I have a guide in Alnif for 3 days the following week. Any tips would be appreciated.

That's a nice trip ahead of you . As a tip , I would just advise you to think over what you really seek and be carefull to express it clearly . From Alnif you can have access to all the paleozoic , plus the cretaceous around Taouz /Erfoud if you're willing to drive some extra miles . Also don't forget all these nice trilobites you see inthe reports come out as hints of bits of shells which have to be glued back and prepped for a long time before turning out into these exquisite pieces . There are places where you will be able to find trilos already exposed and already prepped by weather ( like the pics above ) , but the quantity and quality will be something different ...