Ammo Heaven!

RJB

Here are a series of photos of a Jeletzkytes nebraskensis that I found a couple of years ago. At the time I didnt know that the damage was most likely caused by another squid? But I had a lot of fun prepping it and rebuilding the damaged part.

RB

Dang those are some nice ammonites!

and that nautaloid is so cool!!! :lol: Theres something about them that i like more than ammonites...

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

• 3 years later...

I took two of my sons to South Dakota just last October. Ive never gone after the ammos too much, but being that I live in Montana now, SD didnt seem so far anymore. I was lucky enough to meet a really nice guy who new his ammos and had a few sites to hunt. Boy did we find some ammos!!! Actually it was my youngest son that did outstanding. I did purty good, but he found the most amazing stuff!!! We went to 4 different sites and it took us 3 days. We were gone from home for 7 days. We were all smiles all the way home from this trip. I have two more ammo trips already planned for this year too! I cant wait! One of the trips will be a river float trip, which will be super fun. I have never done that before!!! All these ammos are not prepped yet, but someday soon I will have some great stuff to show you guys. Here are some pics of some of the fossils. There are plenty more that I didnt get photos of. I just cant wait to start preppin!!! Enjoy

RB

RJB is there any way I can twist your are and find out were a spot or two to find ammos in the bearpaw formation I was trying to make a trip this summer if I can pull my self from crab concs! Was wandering if you ever found lobbster I'm looking them and ammos!!! Thanks for any help you may or may not provide!!!! ;)

Edited by DLB

RJB is there any way I can twist your are and find out were a spot or two to find ammos in the bearpaw formation I was trying to make a trip this summer if I can pull my self from crab concs! Was wandering if you ever found lobbster I'm looking them and ammos!!! Thanks for any help you may or may not provide!!!! ;)

rjb, beautiful finds. i bet your mpg went way down on the return trip :)

FYI - with the exception of the 2 previous posts, this topic is over 3 years old. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

FYI - with the exception of the 2 previous posts, this topic is over 3 years old. :)

AND all the ammos are over 65,000,000 years old!:P

The FYI was just so posters wouldn't be camped out waiting for an answer. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

AND all the ammos are over 65,000,000 years old!:P

:D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Great note Dan - thanks - O.

RJB - thanks - some of the coolest ammo pix I've seen in a while.

RJB

While it is true that most TX ammonites are steinkerns, a few formations do present other forms of preservation here. Nacreous ammonites can be found in the Arcadia Park fm around Dallas and the Weno fm between Dallas and Oklahoma. These tend to be in ironstone nodules or weathered out of them. The red zone as well as the Britton fm of Dallas tend to preserve ammonites with a white aragonitic trace of original shell with no iridescent luster, still very cool though. At the red zone you can beat the ammonites free of the strata but in the Britton again you find ammonites in ironstone nodules, sometimes multiples per nodule.

There are 7 zones of pyritized micromorphic ammonites in the Lower K of TX including Duck Creek, Denton, Pawpaw, Grayson and perhaps other formations. I think the Pawpaw material is the coolest personally out of our pyritized stuff. One of my favorite pieces is a pyritized Mortoniceras ammonite sitting on top of a Xanthosia crab carapace with lightning bolts of pyrite covering the carapace.

I've personally found Sphenodiscus down here in the Escondido and Corsicana fms, although the Kco specimens are fragmentary. The biggest ones I've picked up are both 12 inches in diameter. The best one can be seen in my Oct 25 thread from this same "Hunting Trips" folder. I got 8 or 9 that day and plan to head back soon to see what I missed. I think S. pleurisepta is the dominant species down here, but others such as S. intermedius, S. lenticularis, S. lobatus, and S. tirensis are documented in TX Maastrichtian exposures. I may have multiple species in my collection, but I don't have the references allowing me to key them out.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Dang I thoght some were out there a answer would pop up if I brought this fourm up ??????????? :(

Worth a try! The person you're asking isn't on as often as we'd like, though, what with building a house and all. Maybe he'll check in.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

RJB--Wish ammo's in Texas did have more shell material and iridescent but there is a lot to chose from in the great state. In my gallery is a post from the Blossom Sand that has a grouping of ammo's that most have their shell remaining but lack the glitter of what you found. Your trip was awsome, that tire size ammonite nodule was an interesting find, bet it was hard to fit in a back pack.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Worth a try! The person you're asking isn't on as often as we'd like, though, what with building a house and all. Maybe he'll check in.

All I can do is keep asking I have a few places to start but I'm always looking!!!!

Hey DLB-

RJB rarely shows up here anymore. I think he's still building a house, or he got sick of us all. And he has more crabs (fossilized) than you can shake a stick at. He used to live out where you are.

Dang :( hope one day I'll get to talk to MR RJB but it looks as if I'm at a dead end ;( Tthose are realy nice concs love to try and find some of my own!!! Thanks once again for the help from the forum I think this will be my favoret thread to the forum:) makes me wink ;)

Dang :( hope one day I'll get to talk to MR RJB but it looks as if I'm at a dead end ;( Tthose are realy nice concs love to try and find some of my own!!! Thanks once again for the help from the forum I think this will be my favoret thread to the forum:) makes me wink ;)

Hey DLB, I havent seen this post for a very long time. Fossils have taken a back seat for me, (sad to say), but I do plan on a trip this june. I will be in washington for the last part of my trip. My dad lives there. Try to PM me. I think ive finally figured out how to use that? Not sure how much help I would be? I dont give out my favorite sites and others are some I promised i would never give out.

RB

• 5 years later...

Glad you did, Ron! I think you posted some of those site photos elsewhere, at least the one of you and your sons surrounding that huge concretion looks familiar. That was the golden age, right?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/