Sign in to follow this  
smt126

Mazon

smt126

Anyone ever go down to mazon for hunting? My daughter is turning 6, and I wanted to take her for a special fossil hunt. A lot of the stuff seems hard to get to. Any easier spots to hunt?

fossilized6s

Welcome. There really aren't any "easy" spots to find fossils in Mazon. I think the campground would be the easiest. It's going to open back up in a few weeks. But the fossil hunting is still unclear at this point.

smt126

Yea I looked at the campground. I figured that was probably our best bet too. The reviews I read online sounded like it was a bit sketchy. I'm not worried about me, but concerned about my peanut.

Rob Russell

Joining ESCONI (annual cost $20) would gain you access to a private hunting location two weekends a year. One in May, and the other in late September, or early October. This would by far be the easiest location for a six year old to hunt, and have a reasonable chance of coming home with some fossils. Bare in mind it's a spoil pile, and will require some digging to gain access to those predious little nodules. Something dad can do as your child pulls the concretions from what you dig up. There are always many kids there, and I'm sure she would appreciate having other kiddos around.

Charlie's suggestion of hunting the campground is a good one; however, it's now closed indefinitely. And there's piles of ticks out there in those woods! The Esconi site has far less woods/vegetation resulting in fewer ticks.

Just a thought. I wish i had seen your post back in April! I hope the advise finds you well. Happy hunting!

Rob.

smt126

Thanks Rob. I was thinking of doing just that. I was wondering about the tick situation there too. I work every other weekend so I worry they will land on my work weekend. For the price though it definitely can't be beat, even if I only got to do 1 weekend a year.

Raggedy Man
On 7/9/2016 at 2:17 AM, smt126 said:

Thanks Rob. I was thinking of doing just that. I was wondering about the tick situation there too. I work every other weekend so I worry they will land on my work weekend. For the price though it definitely can't be beat, even if I only got to do 1 weekend a year.

The access to the other quarries through ESCONI is definitely a huge perk. My wife and I do the 3 year membership for 45. However, I might be more focused on MAPS next year and will probably only go to a few field trips next year. I will probably see a few of you at the hill on the 10th.

Edited by Raggedy Man

smt126

We will be there on the 10th. I'm not sure how well the kids are going to do with leaving at 5am lol. I bought a shade tent to try out for this trip so we will see how that works too. I picked it up for 20 bucks on clearance at meijer.