Help ID possible fossilized egg from early ordovician layer 88mm X 68mm

allanstaib

Hello all, Hoping I've found a fossilized egg and looking forward to any comments others might have. The "shell" appears intact on one side of the object and is missing from the other side. There appears to be a distinct "shell" layer. Any comments would be appreciated. Object is 80 mm by 68mm at the widest point. The object was found in an eroding hillside in the Cotter/Jefferson City formation in North Central Arkansas (Ozarks). This places this area in the early Ordovician geologic period. Thanks for any comments!

Allanpost-21102-0-24161400-1459593171_thumb.jpgpost-21102-0-11480500-1459593186_thumb.jpgpost-21102-0-46596200-1459593197_thumb.jpg

Looks like a sandstone Concretion to me.

Ordovician was way too early for eggs.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tim is right if you're thinking bird or reptile egg. They have found trilobite eggs, but this is way to big to be one of those. Most Ordovician creatures probably layed eggs, but they would have been jelly like objects that would not preserve well at all. So this is probably a concretion, but look at the faunal lists for the area, it may be a mold or cast of something round, I have seen sponges that come out as round balls.

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I agree with the others. Not an egg, but a nice sedimentary concretion with a multi-layered structure created by concentric growth. The spherical or ovoid shape sometimes makes to believe that it is an egg. The upper part was probably more exposed to weathering than the lower part which remains for a longer time embedded in the sediment.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks all! Very helpful! I've gone to Wikipedia and read up on concert ions and I'm certain the consensus is correct. I've found other objects that I now understand to be concretions. Really appreciate the responses!

......They have found trilobite eggs, but this is way to big to be one of those....

I need a picture....I had NO IDEA!

possibly a sponge (Hindia, can you see any structures?) but mot likely a concretion

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I had a "tooth" a while back that was vanquished back to concretion status in mere moments...but the good side, now we know what a concretion is and may get some goodies when they are opened!

Bob

Archived