Hadrosaur Egg

FossilDudeCO

Looks a bit different than some of them on this site.

Opinions please?

post-20855-0-26808500-1459628635_thumb.jpg

post-20855-0-78884000-1459628643_thumb.jpg

post-20855-0-04727000-1459628651_thumb.jpg

These are the only 3 pictures offered.

I emailed for more and bigger.

It looks "fatter", rounder than the Chinese "hadrosaur" eggs I have handled and prepped. From the pictures so far, the visible shell looks proper to my eye, as does the mineral/soil coating.

Edit: Not visible is the pedestal of matrix customarily seen at the hatching window in the eggs most often offered. Perhaps it is just not revealed in the extant photos.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Check the company website, a minimum of research goes a long way. All the fossils they sell are guaranteed authentic and correctly represented.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

It looks "fatter", rounder than the Chinese "hadrosaur" eggs I have handled and prepped. From the pictures so far, the visible shell looks proper to my eye, as does the mineral/soil coating.

Edit: Not visible is the pedestal of matrix customarily seen at the hatching window in the eggs most often offered. Perhaps it is just not revealed in the extant photos.

Yes Snolly, that is exactly what I meant. Most of them seem to be on a pedestal and flattened.

Edited by FossilDudeCO

Check the company website, a minimum of research goes a long way. All the fossils they sell are guaranteed authentic and correctly represented.

Have you purchased from this company before Piranha?

I did see their site, but I also know anyone can claim genuine authentic fossils.

It seems that most of these hadrosaur eggs come from China. Any other places anyone knows of?

Really, China listed as the country of orgini is what made me nervous too.

The egg looks real and I can vouch for the owner that he sells authentic eggs and have purchased items from him before

• I found this Informative 1

It seems that most of these hadrosaur eggs come from China. Any other places anyone knows of?

Really, China listed as the country of orgini is what made me nervous too.

Mongolia and France are other places eggs are available on the open market. The eggs the seller has were obtained before the embargos were established, dealers still have inventory of them. Should not be an issue. Edited by Troodon

The egg looks real and I can vouch for the owner that he sells authentic eggs and have purchased items from him before

Thank you very much Troodon!

Have you purchased from this company before Piranha?

I did see their site, but I also know anyone can claim genuine authentic fossils.

I have many fossils from them. BTW, they are not just 'anyone', they have been around for decades and also regularly attend all the major fossils shows. Their ebay feedback speaks for itself. Anyone else that has done business with them can attest that they don't sell fake fossils.

Yeah some of my first fossils were purchased from Steve about 20 years ago when he went to the local shows in Delaware and Lancaster.

thankd for the input from all of you. I just wanted to double check as this would be the most I have spent on a fossil.

Yes, I have always wanted an egg.

This one is priced at $400

My how times have changed. Here is a Hadrosaur egg I purchased from Lowell Carhart. Believe it or not, the selling price 20 years ago was only $400! This egg is one of only a few that he had prepped at a lab that used a light acid wash technique, preserving all of the intricate shell detail. The other side of the egg is as good as the one in the photo. It still remains one of the best examples I have ever seen. All these years later, it must be worth a small fortune by now!

post-4301-0-48594000-1459636400_thumb.jpg

I know that name, but I dont know from where...it would almost have to be the Denver show. That is the only show I have been to.

anywho. Your egg is MUCH nicer!

I saw one not even that good from the same seller more in the price bracket of $1300

Why do they leave the "pedestal" on these eggs? just for show?

Why do they leave the "pedestal" on these eggs? just for show?

The pedestal is over the hatching window. There would be no shell there (or just random shards); so prepping down to egg shape would reveal only matrix there. It just seems the "matrix stand" evolved to be the convention in prep. Even the total fabrications seem to favor that appearance. The eggs we display are actually upside down from how they were positioned in the nest. The blown out hatching window would be "up" and the wonderfully preserved shell would have been "down" in the nest.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The egg is real. I concur with the rest; the seller provides good, authentic material.

Here's my Hadrosaur egg from another source, which I later sent to White River Preparium to have the pedestral prepped off. You won't see it from this view, but there's a cavity under the egg.

post-4888-0-84573400-1459650212_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The egg is real. I concur with the rest; the seller provides good, authentic material.

Here's my Hadrosaur egg from another source, which I later sent to White River Preparium to have the pedestral prepped off. You won't see it from this view, but there's a cavity under the egg.

Andy, that's a very nice piece. I always enjoy seeing your acquisitions. You have a wonderful eye for quality and thus a fabulous collection.

The pedestal is over the hatching window. There would be no shell there (or just random shards); so prepping down to egg shape would reveal only matrix there. It just seems the "matrix stand" evolved to be the convention in prep. Even the total fabrications seem to favor that appearance. The eggs we display are actually upside down from how they were positioned in the nest. The blown out hatching window would be "up" and the wonderfully preserved shell would have been "down" in the nest.

oh and Snolly, thank you as well for this!