Estate Sale

savywavy8801

I bought a giant box of rocks at an estate sale simply because they were interesting when I got home it was filled with fossils. I've spent weeks researching and haven't made it very far. I know that I have teeth, claws, and clam shells but figuring out where they came from is tricky. I would appreciate any help as I am keeping these for my personal collection and would love to be able to explain what they are. My guess is they were found sometime in the 1940's it's hard to narrow the location as their rock collection has rocks from all of the different states.

post-21100-0-87158700-1459632188_thumb.jpeg

post-21100-0-64587300-1459632345_thumb.jpeg

Edited by savywavy8801

The first pic from your second post are all horn corals. They are very plentiful where I live in New York in the Finger lakes region.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Can't help with the location but what you have posted are not teeth and claws.

1 rock?

2 nautiloid segment ( similar yo orthoceras)

3 solitary corals

4 brachiopods

5 worn bivalves?

6 bivalves

I think is very difficult to say the exact location because those fossils have been found in many places around the world

And I almost forgot, welcome to the forum!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

welcome to the forum!

I agree first picture from your second psot looks like Horn Corals, similar to some I just received from Ohio!

1 looks bone-like to me, but I'll leave it to the bone experts here to give a more reliable opinion

2 I agree with orthocone nautiloid, apparently surrounded by weathered brachiopods (internal moulds)

3 (solitary) horn corals

4 spiriferid brachiopods

5 unsure

6 strophomenid? brachiopods

Ideally you'd want the location info for each fossil but it's hard to tell, unless someone recognizes the genus/species and can deduce where they were probably found, but even then certainty will be elusive.

All except the bone and the 'unsure' would be from the Paleozoic era.

The third photo (horn corals) look to be Grewingkia canadensis. These are common in ordovician outcrops in western Ohio, eastern Indiana, and northern Kentucky.

Edited by Peat Burns

The fourth photo (brachiopods) appear to be Genus Platystrophia (Vinlandostrophia), possibly Platystrophia ponderosa (?). These are also common in certain formations / outcrops in the Ordovician of Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky.

Edited by Peat Burns

Can you take some pics of each end of the "bone". Try getting a clear shot looking dead on at each end. I am about 50/50 that it's bone vs rock. I see very suggestive bone features, but not of any bone I have seen. BTW, I am not an expert, so I would only take 25% of that 50/50 with any sort of grain of salt.

Edited by garyc

Even if you're not an expert you're still helping to point me in the right direction. I appreciate it!

most of them look like horn corals and brachiopods from the Ordovician

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thank you for the feedback! I apologize for posting something that may be a rock but I just want to be sure before I get rid of it that it truly isn't something. Thank you!

I too am in the rock camp now. No apologies necessary. It's sometimes hard to differentiate when in hand, even harder from pics. But the ends of both of those clearly look like rock.