Sign in to follow this  
Tiesta

Cephalopods of the twin cities

Tiesta

To me they are very diverse during the Ordovician but rather uncommon to rare in the Twin Cities. But still with hard enough searches new species pop up for me. Just last week found a piece of the giant cephalopod unidentified species. Appears to be decorah from clay mining waste rocks. Tried to see if I can find any more pieces but nothing. This is just a small chuck but holy cows it's huge. Each segments averages almost half a inch thick.

Tiesta

A rock I'm still working on have two species found last week too, until today I thought it was one but segments are different. Broke the fossils twice sigh. From galena, one is my first of the pot belly cephalopod, from the book appear to be a few similar genus so that's why I'm trying to clean it to find any clues what's the difference between the genus.

Tiesta

Next up are my first medium sized and for a year the largest cephalopod I had thou it look tiny next to the ones I found in fall and spring. It's a short segment piece of Actinoceras bigsbyi. I have a theory for its odd shape. It could be one of the most advanced cephalopod of its time as the hollow most likely contain bladders to keep it floating compare to other big cephalopods which was more heavier. Even more controversial, it might also have a mantle that acts as a fin, which helps it move faster through the water.

Tiesta

Then I have two specimens of Tripteroceras species. The largest piece reign as largest cephalopod only last a few months heh. They are much more flatter than other cephalopod more oval shaped. Only worn pieces so far and I almost mistook them for just another piece of rock.

Tiesta

One of the smallest cephalopod is Metaspyroceras bilineatum. Seem to be strongly decorah so far I find mainly at shadow falls one year in a certain area. Unique into they have ridges opposite to segments.

Tiesta

That's it for identified cephalopod. I have more but it's tough to tell at least for me. Here's more pics some of them smooth at least two large.

Tiesta

That's it for cephalopod today.