Cephalopods of the twin cities

Tetradium

To me they are very diverse during the Ordovician but rather uncommon to rare in the Twin Cities. But still with hard enough searches new species pop up for me. Just last week found a piece of the giant cephalopod unidentified species. Appears to be decorah from clay mining waste rocks. Tried to see if I can find any more pieces but nothing. This is just a small chuck but holy cows it's huge. Each segments averages almost half a inch thick.

A rock I'm still working on have two species found last week too, until today I thought it was one but segments are different. Broke the fossils twice sigh. From galena, one is my first of the pot belly cephalopod, from the book appear to be a few similar genus so that's why I'm trying to clean it to find any clues what's the difference between the genus.

Next up are my first medium sized and for a year the largest cephalopod I had thou it look tiny next to the ones I found in fall and spring. It's a short segment piece of Actinoceras bigsbyi.

Then I have two specimens of Tripteroceras species. The largest piece reign as largest cephalopod only last a few months heh. They are much more flatter than other cephalopod more oval shaped. Only worn pieces so far and I almost mistook them for just another piece of rock.

One of the smallest cephalopod is Metaspyroceras bilineatum. Seem to be strongly decorah so far I find mainly at shadow falls one year in a certain area. Unique into they have ridges opposite to segments.

That's it for identified cephalopod. I have more but it's tough to tell at least for me. Here's more pics some of them smooth at least two large.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Tetradium
On 1/20/2020 at 5:05 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Done.  Is it OK now?

Don

Its okay. I had changed my account as well too. Now focusing on my imagine gallery and learning much more. Hadn't posted cephalopods but not much new anyway. At least hardly anyone finds minnesota forum much anymore consider I had made so many mistakes already on the old accounts. Galena formation turn out to be limestone version of Decorah Formation and generally exposed in southern Minnesota not in the Twin Cities. I also became more careful about weird theories - never had found any actual sea scorpions since then ha. 

Tetradium
On 1/20/2020 at 5:05 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Done.  Is it OK now?

Don

Here my infamous embarrassment piece. Now I think its just a badly eroded cephalopod with a upside brachiopod for "nose" and a cast of snail for the "eye". Ignore the glue, it was during a phase that I stopped doing 2 years ago to keep it attached to the bottom of the case. 

100_9105.JPG

100_9106.JPG

100_9107.JPG