Sign in to follow this  
Tiesta

Odds and ends

Tiesta

This is one of the weirdest rock I have even found in lilydale bedrock. Until recent, I thought fossil rocks was rare but been noticing occidental pieces in galena shaly limestone. This one was sticking out of a limestone at a steep angle several degree away from vertical and had to had the host rock broken to extracts it. That's why I decide to do a odd and ends section for odd fossils or rocks and minerals found along with fossils.

Pumpkinhead

I'm not seeing a picture. My guess is the file was too large, or perhaps it's a problem on my end.

Tiesta

Nah I have to switch between iPad which types better and read easier but sucks with camera and my phone which have better pics.

Tiesta

Next up are a bizarre fossil I found in platteville mifflin. It's one of a kind wouldn't had noticed until I accidently sliced the plane. I'm guessing it's a crystal filled void where a jellyfish like animal died and the thin void became filled by crystals.

Tiesta

Here's a bizarre mass death of what I think are a species of ostracodes from galena. They often averages about four inches thick when I see rocks loaded with them means they regin as top copepod for some times. They actually gives the rocks kind of pyrite like coloring.

minnbuckeye

It always amazes me what exists beneath the feet of millions of people in a major metropolitan area and no one has a clue. One only needs to look!!! Nice posts

Tiesta

Thanks. One thing to know is from central minnesota southward the ground is covered with a thick layer of soil so information about the bedrock below is often depend on scattered deep core samples and whatever exposed by major rivers. Even there could be a few isolated islands of Cretaceous rocks under the twin cities and no one knows about it thou those rock beds are likely to be small my very rough guesses is generally a mile wide and a foot or less in depth and fossil poor.