Sarcosuchus Imperator tooth real ?

Small isolated Croc teeth can be difficult to identify down to a specific species. Just because a croc tooth comes from Niger you cannot assume it from a Sarco since you cannot just look at size. It's possible yours comes from one looking at the paper.

Here an image of some teeth and a page from Sereno's paper.

post-10935-0-01523900-1459857748_thumb.jpg

Sarco.pdf

• I found this Informative 2

The seller i bought it from had 100% positive feedback and he stated that it was a Sarco tooth, so im just going to hope it is.

Feedback is not not indictive of the accuracy of his description. Most buyers assume the best and if they find out later it's inaccurate there is no means to change feedback

Edit: fyi auction sites are notorious for inaccurate descriptions. Need to be careful and seek advice of others before buying

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 2

This is definitely Sarcosuchus Imperator,nice tooth.

You can't tell it for sure. Not big enough, you can only say it's crocodilian. Many croc tooth are sold for Sarcosuchus

You can't tell it for sure. Not big enough, you can only say it's crocodilian. Many croc tooth are sold for Sarcosuchus

To add on, I do not know if it's 100% Sarcosuchus or not, but the preservation is definitely from Niger. And it does look like my Sarosuchus tooth. I lack a photo of my cross section, but it's the same.

post-4888-0-02555300-1459900827_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Isolated Croc teeth are difficult to ID to a genus level unless there is something diagnostic about them. I'm not that familiar a Sarco tooth other that what I see on that paper I posted, its cutting edges, shape and size. Are there other croc's in Niger that have similiar characteristics, I don't know. All we can say is that your tooth has some similarities to a Sarco.

What I find interesting is that the only croc teeth you see sold out Niger are Sarco but I have a limited view.

• 3 months later...

Actually yes you can and since i have seen the original skull up close with Sereno its almost certainly a tooth from a large Croc such as Sarcosuchus,and yes I am aware that croc teeth are sold as Sarco teeth especially from the Kem Kem in Morocco when they are in fact Elosuchus teeth.This tooth has the typical ornament shape for a large croc from the Tenere in Niger..it could be Stolokrosuchus sp described by Larsson&Gado in 2001another very large croc from Niger which was a serious competitor to Supercroc but I am pretty certain its from Sarcosuchus.

There are at least six species of croc from the Cretaceous of Niger. I agree w/ troodon, that if the tooth is not just plain huge, it can be difficult to impossible to ID.

• I found this Informative 1

There are at least six species of croc from the Cretaceous of Niger. I agree w/ troodon, that if the tooth is not just plain huge, it can be difficult to impossible to ID.

AND at last count at least 10 species from the Kem Kem and none include Sarco.

Another thing to keep in mind, there are two Super-Crocs from Niger. One is Sarco, and the other is currently being described but it's teeth are just as large, although they more slender and pointed, rather than rounded like sarco. I can't imagine having two giant crocodiles like this patrolling the waters.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com