Hyphalosaurus. Real or fake

Hi can anyone tell me for sure if this hyphalosaurus is real. The buyer says he purchased itinthe 1990s before China put a banon exported fossils. I can tell on the fake ones are more complete and almost flawless and more of a dark shade coloring but I just wanna make sure first on this one. Thanks

post-20853-0-13302000-1459873963_thumb.png

Bones look real but there is evidence that this may be a composite. Matrix around the neck and head looks worked. Let's see what others say

Can you post the back side of the plate? It could be made of more than one individue. The hands also could be painted or enhanced

In looking at the auction site there are no images of the back from this image looks like the plate is assembled from several pieces.

post-10935-0-24538100-1459888433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon

I sent him a message for pics of the back but as it is , do you think it'd be worth having as to a smaller, less repaired one?

Troodon is of course correct - the matrix has a jig-saw puzzle look in the photos. This might suggest a composite, but it could be from natural mineral- filled fissures or a little quarrying difficulty. The implication is not clear. The bones with the fine, random seeming disarticulations look great to me and imply authenticity. I see tiny teeth, I believe. $1500 is a lot of bux and I would certainly not pay it without a no questions asked refund agreement. In hand is the only way to be comfortably sure. It's an attractive, big piece. I like it. Good luck.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree $1500 seems a bit steep on something that has some open question. If you are successful in obtaining a picture of the back it may help answer some of them.

I agree, snolly.

I have one I purchased from China quite a few years ago. The matrix is very chalky with odd variations in density/texture, and I believe it cracks easily. I'm quite sure the one I have is not a composite (obvious when in hand), but it was repaired. Mine came in a red silk-covered box, cushioned on all sides. It is backed by what seems to be some sort of masonite type material. I wouldn't be able to say if it is the same for yours. I did not pay near that much for mine, of course, and it's a good 15 or more inches extended.

Here's a picture, which is also in my gallery:

post-7738-0-91230400-1459902487_thumb.jpg

Troodon is of course correct - the matrix has a jig-saw puzzle look in the photos. This might suggest a composite, but it could be from natural mineral- filled fissures or a little quarrying difficulty. The implication is not clear. The bones with the fine, random seeming disarticulations look great to me and imply authenticity. I see tiny teeth, I believe. $1500 is a lot of bux and I would certainly not pay it without a no questions asked refund agreement. In hand is the only way to be comfortably sure. It's an attractive, big piece. I like it. Good luck.

Edited by nearpass

If you are successful in obtaining a picture of the back it may help answer some of them.

No chance with such a big slab - a support on the back is a must.

The shale in Liaoning is very fragile, soft, with a lot of cracks and delaminates easily - the layers are only around a milimeter thick. If you find a fossil, you can get it out only in small pieces. Will look like some sort of jigsaw puzzle and you have to glue everything back on a support (gypsum plaster board or cement asbestos). Nothing comparable to stuff from the Green River Formation where you can get really big slabs of rock (and even there from time to time, you have to support them with plywood).

Thomas

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Yea that's what the seller had told me , that it was soft had had to put a support slab for the back.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 4/6/2016 at 6:33 AM, joel77520 said:

Yea that's what the seller had told me , that it was soft had had to put a support slab for the back.

Did you end up purchasing?