Questions on how to fix tooth

Kenkou

Hello!

I just recently received some long awaited fossils in the mail the other day, and due to issues in shipping my Spinosaurus tooth had arrived broken. Luckily it was only a small portion of the tip and it is a rather clean break so I hope to repair it. The only issue is I've read many testimonies on how I should go about doing so. Some suggested that I use Gorilla Glue or wood glue and the list can go on and on. But then others claim these can damage the fossil?

I am wondering what kind of glue should I use or how I should go about fixing this tooth?

Thank you in advance!

I normally use either a basic white glue, like Elmer's, or some type of superglue. I am definitely not a fan of Gorilla Glue on fossils.

@PaleoRon
Thank you for the reply! Can I ask why you're not a fan of Gorilla Glue? Is it just personal preference or?

I've since given it away, but I had a Spino tooth that also had its tip broken. I just used simple wood glue and it worked very well. So I would just go with a basic, typical household glue :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

If you want to go the whole hog you could get some Paraloid B-72 beads (they're really cheap), dissolve them in acetone (Which you can get from any hardware store) and use as a reversible adhesive.

You can find the recipe of how I use it here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/63090-how-to-prepare-paraloid-b-72-for-use-as-an-adhesive-and-consolidant/?hl=%2Bparaloid+%2Bb-72

I've used paleobond before and it works like a charm. I've had several broken teeth and you can hardly tell where they broke at. I use PB40 and then their penetrant stabilizer and clean it up with their debonder solvent. However this might be costly for a spino tooth.

I am a fan of PaleoBond but Paraloid B-72 is the choice of professionals, mainly because it is very stable (it will not foll apart when you donate this to your grandkids) and it is reversible (when you realize you glued it on incorrectly, you can dossolve it in acetone).

Gorilla Glue....Bad...Bad...Bad. As i understand it, it swells as it sets, this is by design. It is meant to fill in areas where you didn't put any. Never use it on fossils.

PM coming your way Kenkou, I have some paraloid if you would like to try your hand at it, it is very easy!

I am a fan of PaleoBond but Paraloid B-72 is the choice of professionals, mainly because it is very stable (it will not foll apart when you donate this to your grandkids) and it is reversible (when you realize you glued it on incorrectly, you can dossolve it in acetone).

Gorilla Glue....Bad...Bad...Bad. As i understand it, it swells as it sets, this is by design. It is meant to fill in areas where you didn't put any. Never use it on fossils.

Gorilla glue is based on Diphenylmethane diisocyanate. To harden, this stuff needs some moisture; during crosslinking, a gas (carbon dioxide) will evolve, will create fine bubbles and the stuff swell as it sets. Since Isocyanates crosslink, the adhesive is not reversible anymore. Good for a lot of things, but not for fossils.

https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/gorilla_glue.html

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Hi, I can only go on my experience and I use a good grade super glue to repair fossils some of the cheep ones do not work so well.

I have used Gorilla glue once on a nice belemnite that I broke when prepping and I had to cut the piece short as the glue was a disaster.

Good luck

Regards

Mike

Paleobond is my choice to repair my dinosaur teeth. It's thin enough to offer a very tight bond.

Sorry for the late reply! I've been having some teeth issues of my own lately, abscessed teeth are not fun lol. I have read all your replies and I appreciate them! I will stay away from gorilla and super glues then! I think I will use Paleobond and Paraloid B-72 just to make sure everything works out well and stable and stays that way for years to come!

Superglue is absolutely ok - no problem.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Agree. Gorilla glue, because of it's expanding properties, the two pieces must be tightly clamped. This is just asking for further damage.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2016 at 10:34 PM, PaleoRon said:

I normally use either a basic white glue, like Elmer's, or some type of superglue. I am definitely not a fan of Gorilla Glue on fossils.

under no circumstances should you ever use Gorilla Glue on fossils. Believe me, I learned the hard way

6 hours ago, wamorris1999 said:

under no circumstances should you ever use Gorilla Glue on fossils. Believe me, I learned the hard way

It is probably best not to bump old threads unless the post is contributing something new to the discussion. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer