Mosausaur and Ichthyosaur Fossils

waughgavin

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and only recently have returned to fossil collecting, I used to collect when I was much younger. I am looking into purchasing some impressive fossils to jump-start my collection, and have found a mosasaur jaw and some vertebrae. I have seen some of the Moroccan fakes, but I would still like some consensus before I make any commitments. I would also like to know if anyone has any sort of recommendations for purchasing ichthyosaur fossils.

Here are some photos:

post-21144-0-18024300-1459912186_thumb.jpg

post-21144-0-74665600-1459912197_thumb.jpeg

post-21144-0-04366900-1459912205_thumb.jpg

post-21144-0-79505000-1459912213_thumb.jpeg

Both items you showed are real. I see no clear signs of tempering or composition beyond the teeth that might be from 2 different species. Try getting higher resolution photos.

For Jurassic ichthyosaurs, you could try fossil shops or sellers from the UK; you can get verts, bones, sometimes even paddles and jaws. If it's isolated Cretaceous teeth you're after, try Russian sellers with access to Stary-Oskal fossils. If you have the budget in the 5 or 6 digits, you can get partial to whole ichthyosaurs from Solnhofen.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Hi Re the UK fossil sellers try Byron Blessed at Natural wonders in Whitby North Yorkshire UK he sell a lot of different items and is very helpful. You can have a look at what he has on the web site, just Google it.

Regards

Mike

The first 2 photos of the mosasaur jaw is mines. I purchased it awhile ago.

Oh! I see that now, the other fossils showed sold under the description, but this one didn't.

Hi Re the UK fossil sellers try Byron Blessed at Natural wonders in Whitby North Yorkshire UK he sell a lot of different items and is very helpful. You can have a look at what he has on the web site, just Google it.

Regards

Mike

I have looked at Bryon's items for sell and found these fossis:

post-21144-0-59566100-1459940959_thumb.jpg

post-21144-0-39141400-1459940962_thumb.jpg

Do you think these would be worthwhile?

Edited by waughgavin

I have looked at Bryon's items for sell and found these fossis:

attachicon.gifIchthyosaur Jaw.jpg

attachicon.gifIchthyosaur Vertebrae.jpg

Do you think these would be worthwhile?

The vertebra are very nice hard to tell about the jaw from that photo. But I think you should make that call based on your interest and what you can afford. We can provide you guidance on ID and authenticity. Edited by Troodon

This jaw looks suspect to me.

The fragments at the bottom look like composition.

Definitely looks off. I'd skip that one

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and only recently have returned to fossil collecting, I used to collect when I was much younger. I am looking into purchasing some impressive fossils to jump-start my collection, and have found a mosasaur jaw and some vertebrae. I have seen some of the Moroccan fakes, but I would still like some consensus before I make any commitments. I would also like to know if anyone has any sort of recommendations for purchasing ichthyosaur fossils.

Here are some photos:

attachicon.gifMosasaur Jaw 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMosasaur Jaw 2.jpeg

attachicon.gifMosasaur Vertebrae 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMosasaur Vertebrae 2.jpeg

The verts look fine. The jaw also looks good. But these photos are not clear enough to judge if the jaw has been tampered with. Without better photos I would skip this jaw as well.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite