The Great North Texas Ammonite Hunt - 4-4-16

DinoMike

Thanks to forum member (and fellow DPS member) BobWill taking me into a couple of sites that he has access to, I found these beauties on Monday.

post-18676-0-27033000-1459953666_thumb.jpg

This big guy's out of a creek cutting through the Duck Creek formation. He was just lying there half-buried in the float.

post-18676-0-01934300-1459953722_thumb.jpg

post-18676-0-49614200-1459953732_thumb.jpg

This smaller ammo is from the same creek. Nice keel on it!

(Continued.. )

This bit of hash plate was from the last site Bob took me into. Not sure on the formation... there's still apparently discussion on whether this creek cuts through Grayson formation or Duck Creek.

post-18676-0-27111500-1459953893_thumb.jpg

post-18676-0-47215500-1459953900_thumb.jpg

I ran outta motivation at that last site... trying to get past a HUGE fallen tree in the creek, after a big lunch that already was making me want to take a nap... kinda took it out of me. :D

This bit of hash plate was from the last site Bob took me into. Not sure on the formation... there's still apparently discussion on whether this creek cuts through Grayson formation or Duck Creek.

attachicon.gifValley View - Gainesville - 4-4-16 004.jpg

attachicon.gifValley View - Gainesville - 4-4-16 007.jpg

I ran outta motivation at that last site... trying to get past a HUGE fallen tree in the creek, after a big lunch that already was making me want to take a nap... kinda took it out of me. :D

The hash slabs look much more like ironstones found in the Weno and Pawpaw Formations that are found in between the Duck Creek and Grayson Formations. My best guess is that they are from the Weno because of the Turritellas. Crack some of the ironstones open to let us look at the fossils present, then we can give you a better guess. Look at Lance Halls Northtexasfossils.com website for help. Also, ask Bob what other fossils he has found in the ironstone and let us know.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The hash slabs look much more like ironstones found in the Weno and Pawpaw Formations that are found in between the Duck Creek and Grayson Formations. My best guess is that they are from the Weno because of the Turritellas. Crack some of the ironstones open to let us look at the fossils present, then we can give you a better guess. Look at Lance Halls Northtexasfossils.com website for help. Also, ask Bob what other fossils he has found in the ironstone and let us know.

Will do! Thanks for the additional info!

Thanks to everyone that's commented on the thread! It was a really fun trip, I just wish I hadn't run out of steam when I did.

Great finds Mike. Bob sounds like a great guy. I'm a member of DPS but never have had the chance to meet many fellow members.

Wow i love those hash plates! Nice work!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Lovely ammonites they have always been my favourites and you have found a couple of excellent specimens

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the information John. Tom D. and Mark McK. (also geologists) thought there may be more than one formation providing float at that site or maybe they all pinch out nearby. There are several undisturbed banks along the creek that are not all the same looking and have different colored layers. I will take some pictures of what I have found there to post, like the 13 different bivalves!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice ammonites and those hash plates are really cool colours!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."