Very 3d Cambropallas for real?

I was perusing our favorite auction site and saw two specimens of purported Cambropallas that look exceedingly different than the usual squished-in-a-shale-nodule sort of bugs that traditionally are found for sale (and faked with reckless abandon). These look more like a Cambrian form of the Moroccan Devonian bugs - preserved in limestone in inflated, 3-dimensional form, complete with axial spines toward the rear. If you search for:

"Cambropallas sp. telesto Flying Free"

you will see more pictures of these highly suspicious items than the ones I attached.

I am deeply suspicious of these, although the particular vendor has not posted anything that I could point to being an outright fabrication before.

Thoughts?

---Prem

post-13994-0-79465000-1459971571_thumb.jpg

post-13994-0-24522800-1459971582_thumb.jpg

I think the only way I would be convinced of their authenticity would be to see a photographed prep sequence.

Which, BTW, I think that would be a great way for genuine fossils to be easily verified - have the prepper take some pix with a cell phone as he/she is doing the work...it will then be unimpeachable evidence of a fossil's authenticity.

----Prem

Where do you see that, what gives it away?

The spines standing up on the back have a different texture than the rest of the body as does the "cheek" spines. The texture on the body segments looks very different in spots too.

Folks, there is really no need to reference "our favorite auction site". The education is in explaining the visible flaws pointed out in the posted images. Thanks. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I think I can just about see a joint line on the spines that make it look like they have been added.

Regards

Mike

- back spines on pygidium are added to the fossil, it is visible on the right picture [but an interesting note: perhaps the prepper found clues to add those to the fossil, perhaps he found worn spines he tried to remake himself, the prepper who did this preparation seems a highly skilled craftsman]

- genal spines (cheeck ones) are bit too smooth to feel comfortable ..

The complete thing looks waaaaayyy to fishy for me

I agree, I can't put my finger on it, but its looks....strange...

Archived